Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mulan (1998)

Rating: 80%
Ah I remember only two well how much I loved this movie as a kid. Here's Disney review # 45: Mulan.

Plot: The film is set in the Han Dynasty where the Huns have recently invaded China. So the emperor orders that one man from every family has to fight in the imperial army. But a girl named Mulan is worried about her father who is too old to fight so she disguises herself as a boy to take her father's place despite the law declaring that a woman must die if she pretends to be a man. So her dead ancestors' ghosts summon a small dragon named Mushu to awaken a guardian to protect Mulan. Mushu accidentally destroys the statue that the guardian was suppose to have transformed from so he decides to secretly be Mulan's guarding instead.

I loved this movie as a kid. I enjoyed the action, I loved the songs, and I thought a whole bunch of the dialogue was as funny as heck. And I thought some of the stuff like the ancestors' ghosts was pretty cool. And I thought the movie was at least decently educational in terms of what life was like in China back then. I mean they're showing a lot about the culture with food, art, way of life, and stuff like that. I know it's not going the whole extra mile with that, but in my opinion, it's good enough to at least give kids a fair start about learning about China at least based on my experience growing up.

Characters:
Mulan: Mulan I liked. She was brave, smart and had a way of really doing the best she could to not give up at all.
Mushu: Oh my gosh. Boy did I love this character to death as a kid. He's so funny. Calling Kahn a cow, making a big deal over how Mulan "missing" Shan Yu, I remember only too well how I loved "Well then let's go kick some hunny buns!" as a kid. He's just an awesome character.
Shan Yu: Now he may not be one of the best Disney villains, but I thought he was cool. He had a cool voice, he was strong as heck, and I thought what they did with his eyes was interesting. At the least in my opinion, he's a decent villain.

Music: I liked a lot of the music. I always liked the musical score in the scene when Mulan runs away. As a kid, it just made what was happening exciting and it made me all of the sudden want to go on an adventure (again, as a kid). And like everyone else, I enjoy "I"ll Make a Man Out of You". I also really like "True to your heart" and "reflection". 

And that's my review for Mulan. It may not be the very best of Disney, but to me even after growing up I think it's a very fun film.

No comments:

Post a Comment