Monday, January 2, 2012

Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983)


Rating: 100%

While my family never owned this movie, there have been plenty of times during the Christmas season where we'd rent it or see it at a friends house or something. And for me, I found watching it during Christmas time to be pure tradition

Plot: Based on the novel by Charles Dickens, the story is about the greedy duck named Ebenezer Scrooge (played by Disney character Scrooge McDuck) who cares about nothing but money and works in his counting house with his underpaid employee Bob Cratchit (played by Mickey Mouse). But on Christmas Eve, he gets a warning from the ghost of his old partner, Jacob Marley (played by Goofy) that three spirits will come and attempt make him change his old ways.


What is there to say? I love this movie. I would like to think that it's definitely one of the best version of Christmas Carol. Now true, it is extremely short, and it roughly is just generalizing the story with all sorts of Disney characters from other Disney movies like Ichabod and Mr Toad, Robin Hood, and even Pinocchio. But to me, that doesn't matter. It still is a wonderful movie filled with joy, comedy, suspense and a story well told Disney style. And in a way, making it a short film can be good in the sense of introducing the story in a short and simple way before showing any other versions for future generations. I mean it worked that way for me, so why not do so for our children and their children and so on?
   

Characters:
Ebenezer Scrooge: Looking at it now, it is a little silly that he sometimes just says "bah!" instead of "Bah! Humbug!" but not enough to make my rating any lower than 100%. Scrooge McDuck was a very lovable job and Alan Young did a very good job being the voice of the characters as well as writing the screenplay.
Bob Cratchit: I liked this character. Again, he was a pretty good general way of portraying the character.
Jacob Marley: He was funny...but then again duh! He's Goofy!
Jiminy Cricket: I just thought he was a nice character to be the Ghost of Christmas Past.
Willie the Giant: He was a decent character to be the Ghost of Christmas Present.
Pete: I thought making Pete the Ghost of Christmas Future was an excellent choice.


Music: I thought the only song, that played during the beginning and end of the movie was very good.


And that's my review for Mickey's Christmas Carol. It may have its downs but as biased as it may be to say, I don't care. It's a wonderful film for future generations to know and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment