Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ponyo (2008)

Rating: 70%Alright so after this movie, there's only two movies left to review from Miyazaki from movies he did in Studio Ghibli. So let's move on to one I've been really curious about from looking at posters and stuff for, Ponyo.

Plot: Brunhilde is a fish-girl that lives with her magical father in his underwater aquarium. One day she sneaks out and floats away in a jellyfish to see more of the world. She then comes across a little boy named Sōsuke who rescues her when she gets stuck inside a class cup. But in the process, he cuts his finger from the glass and Brunhilde licks the cut healing him. They become attached to one another and Brunhilde starts talking, and Sōsuke starts to call her Ponyo.

Well I will admit that this is a very nice movie. The characters were pretty nice, the animation and all around world is pretty darn creative as it should as a Miyazaki film should, the cast is awesome with it containing, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, and Betty White. But while the story is nice and creative, it has its odd points. *WARNING SPOILERS* My main example is how there's the whole situation about the moon and the whole thing about the balance in the world. Then there's the something of a subplot with Fujimoto hating humans or something like that. Both of them were very odd because I don't think they went very far on which made both parts of the story kind of off. But by biggest issue was that they made the whole test over Sōsuke's love for Ponyo that is also deciding the fate of the earth really stupid simple: asking him if he loves her either as a fish or a human. I mean sure this movie is probably a little more intended for little kids around the age of the main characters of this film, but considering that this is about the fate of the earth and that they're testing Sōsuke's love for Ponyo, I thought it was a little too simple. And on top of it, Granmamare and especially Fujimoto seemed to take it a little too well that they're letting a little boy decide whether or not to have their VERY young daughter be human for good. I mean I'm sure his love is true and he means it that he'll protect her and he has his mom to help, but... I don't know, to be that big of a change for such young kids. Frankley, it kind of sounds more concerning then teenagers falling in love and getting married in most of the Disney film. But that's my opinion. * END OF SPOILERS*  But I digress, Ponyo is a very fun creative film to enjoy.

Characters:
Sōsuke and Ponyo: They are very lovable characters. I mean that probably goes without saying since they're like, only 4 or 5 years old, but they do display that very well with the animation and the voice acting that makes them very fun to enjoy and make the film all around enjoyable for kids around that very young age.
Lisa: Well firstly, it was awesome to hear Tina Fey in one of the Disney versions to these films, but secondly, Lisa was kind of a strange character. I mean she was a crazy driver, and she kind of adapted to believing that Ponyo is what she really is surprisingly quickly. I mean she had her conversaion with Ponyo's mother about what was going to happen at the end of the movie, I bet rather then being concerned she just more or less went "Okay" and there you go.

Music: The music had a much more cheery tone then most Miyazaki films do which I think turned out very nicely to set up how this film is mostly set for very young kids.

And that's my review for Ponyo. I have a few issues with the story and the ending especially, but it's still a very fun, creative film from Miyazaki for people of all ages to enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Matthew David ClineJuly 22, 2013 at 5:21 PM

    Awesome review H.A.K. I've never seen it, but I was at a thing called Game Night at my friend David Baer's house this past Saturday night. Anyway, his friend Eric has seen this anime movie and most, if not all, the others as well. Well, he said he thought that this film is what The Little Mermaid should've been like. Just out of curiosity, would you agree or disagree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's something The Little Mermaid should've been. But I mostly say that because I don't really know the full argument David seems to have. I'll have to know what it is before I give my official answer to it.

      Delete
  2. Matthew David ClineJuly 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM

    Well, David's friend Eric was the one who actually said this. Anyway, he said things like that at least in this movie, the female character didn't sell her soul to the devil, what she wanted wasn't wrong as much as Ariel's case or something like that, and I think other things as well. Next time I see him again, I'll ask him if he had any other arguments as well regarding this. Anyway, may I ask what your take is on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well I wouldn't necessarily agree to that. I mean I guess it really depends on how that's an issue for him, because clearly it sounds like he feels that way because he really dislikes the idea of a hero making deals with the villain or something like that. If that's the case, then I guess that's have making Ponyo superior for him. But for me, I don't really feel that way when it comes to stuff like that in that kind of supposed level so I don't really agree with him assuming that's what he's getting across.

      Delete
  3. Matthew David ClineAugust 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

    Yeah, I don't really feel that way either. Like I said, I'll ask him if there were other reasons that he felt this way. Still, I was just curious as to what your thoughts were since you gave this film a better rating than Little Mermaid and what not, you know? Anyway.

    ReplyDelete