Friday, August 3, 2012

Astro Boy (2009)

Rating: 20%
So...yeah I was looking for movie to put on hold at the library website and all of the sudden I thought of this movie and went, "what the heck" and decided to see it...so...here's my review for Astro Boy.

Plot: Toby is the son of Dr. Tamna who has trouble spending time with his son because of work for the president of the floating city, Metro City. Wanting to see his dad after school, he goes to his lab to watch what his father is doing. But Dr. Tamna's experiment goes wrong which results in getting Toby vaporized. Over come with grief, Dr. Tamna build a clone robot of Toby that is powered by one of the energy spheres that he's been working on called the Blue Core. The robot clone, while having Toby's memories, turns out to be much smarter and have more physical powers then the original Toby. So Dr. Tamna, tormented as to how the robot is not really Toby, he tells the robot Toby that he's not the real Toby and so it run away only to be chased by President Stone who is after the Blue Core that's keeping it alive.

Yeah...this is not a good movie. I mean sure, the animation is good and I thought the design for the villain during the final battle and all of that was kind of cool. But it's generally predictable, the characters are from okay to you've seen these character before countless times, and the voice acting - under the exception of Bill Nightly more or less, Nathan Lane and Samuel L. Jackson - was not that spectacular. If you're a fan of Astro Boy or just like these same kind of story that this movie tells, you're probably going to enjoy this anyway. But if you're like me and you find this to be plain cheesy and predictable you're only going to enjoy this because of some of the cast and the cool animation.

Characters:
Astro: Like the movie itself, Astro (or Toby, whatever you prefer) was pretty cheesy and predictable. You know what he is, you know what heroic thing he's going to do, he just wasn't much of a character.
Dr. Tamna: Now I have to admit it, while Nicolas Cage wasn't much in terms of voice acting, I did like how this character was a little more realistic halfway through that movie. Cause when I was seeing trailers and tv spots for this film, I thought he was going to be this two-dimensional character who is giving Astro just undying love and encouragement. But then he starts realizing how this robot is not his real son and I liked that because that made him a more realistic character. It's a shame as to how he progresses as a character during the climax which I won't spoil for people who haven't seen it, but still, I liked how things were starting to go at first with this character.

And that's my review for Astro Boy. It has nice animation and some good casting in a couple of areas, but at the end of the day, it's just a predictable movie and I don't recommend it unless you're a die hard fan of Astro Boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment