Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Rating: 100%
FINALLY!!! I've been waiting to see this movie again. I made myself wait until I can make it my 175th review, but I couldn't wait any longer to see it again. So last night I stopped over halfway through my Make Mine Music review and watched the movie! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!  I'm SO glad to be done waiting for so long...the only thing is I want to watch it again...guess I know what I"m going to do before bed tonight. So here's Disney review # 40 and my 175th review: Beauty and the Beast.


Plot: The was a young prince in a far away castle who was very selfish and cruel. Then an ugly old woman came to his door asking for shelter from the cold in exchange for a rose. Disgusted by her ugliness, he turns her away. But then the old woman reappears as a beautiful enchantress who saw the princes' cold heart and as punishment, turns him into a beast and turns his servants into furniture and other household items. The Enchantress gave the beast until the last petal of the rose she offered falls to love another and to earn her love in return to lift the enchantment or he would become a beast forever. Meanwhile, Belle, the daughter of the inventor of a village not far from the castle, yearns for life outside of the village. But then her life changes completely when her father gets lost and ends up in the castle of the beast leaving Belle to find and rescue him.

Well there's no doubt about it. I love this movie. The animation is spectacular, the songs and score are wonderful and memorable and memory comes, the characters are fun, and there's plenty of darkness and suspension to go with all the happy a joy stuff. What more do I really need to say about this movie? It was just a wonderfully done movie.

Characters:
Belle: If I had no choice as a guy but to choose which Disney princess is my favorite, I'd have to go with Belle. She's smart, brave, patient. I"m actually curious as to how old she is. Because I think she's the oldest Disney princess (it's probably either her or Tiana that's the oldest) which I like a little more because finding true love at a much older age than 16 or 18 or somewhere around that makes her all the more a better influence to girls as far as Disney Princesses go. At least to me.
Beast: I thought he was a cool character. I mean being a beast to begin with kinda made him a bad-a in a sense, and you have to like how the character changes throughout the film.
Gaston: He was a pretty good villain. Everything usually goes his way and when it doesn't, that's when he really become evil in a slightly crazy sort of way. Plus I just love that "Gaston" song.
The servants (primarily Lumiere, Cogsworth, Mrs. Potts and Chip): They are a lot of fun. Especially Lumiere and Cogsworth always fighting. I do find it weird that the castle apparently has so many servants that so many of them at turned into things that aren't even useful like those suits of armor. I mean what were those particular servants' occupation before the enchantment?

Music: Do I even really have to bother with this one? I mean "That Belle", "Gaston", "Madame Gaston", "Be our Guest", and of coarse, the winner for best original song of that year: "Beauty and the Beast". And the movie doesn't need the Oscar for best original score for you to know that it is just spectacular.


And that's my review for Beauty and the Beast. It's a wonderful film and a fine choice to become my 175th review.

4 comments:

  1. I frickin love this film! I dont care what people say, it is a beautiful film. Terrific review, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. and yes it's a spectacular film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific review, I have not seen this in ages, will definitely give it a rewatch, man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much. and I hope you don't have to wait very long.

    ReplyDelete