Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Make Mine Music (1946)

Rating: 60%

Okay so this is the second to last package film that Disney has made. So Here's Disney review # 38: Make Mine Music.

Plots:

Blue Bayou:This segment is a story about a blue bayou that was originally made for Fantasia using the Claude Debussy musical composition Clair de Lune. 

All the Cats Join In: This was about 1940s teens that get swept away by popular music.

Without You: This was a ballad of lost love, sung by Andy Russell.

Casey at the Bat:This segment featured Jerry Colonna, reciting the poem "Casey at the Bat" about this arrogant ballplayer.

Two Silhouettes:This segment featured two live-action ballet dancers, moving in silhouette with animated backgrounds and characters with Dinah Shore singing the song.

Peter and the Wolf:
This is an animated dramatization of the 1936 musical composition by Sergei Prokofiev, with narration by actor Sterling Holloway. A Russian boy named Peter set off into the forest to hunt the wolf with his animal friends: Sasha the bird, Sonia the duck, and Ivan the cat.

After You've Gone: This segment again features Benny Goodman and his orchestra with cartoon musical instruments.

Johnny Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet:It's the romantic story of two hats in a department store window named Johnny and Alice who fall in love. But then Alice was sold, leaving Johnny on a quest to find her. 

The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met: It's the story of a whale who has incredible musical talent and dreams of becoming a star. But a opera producer named Tetti-Tatti goes on a quest to find and kill him on the belief that he's able to sing because he has swallowed some opera singers.

 

 

 

Eh...whatever. That's what I really feel about this movie. I guess the thing is that my experience with most of Disney's package films where there's a lot of stories in them has left me to not really caring a whole lot about those movies. I mean both Fantasia movies I can stand a little more because I'm older and I can appreciate some of the choices of music and the stories a lot more. And Ichabod and Mr. Toad, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and also Fun and Fancy Free (which I hope to re-watch and review soon), I can manage those films because they had less stories in them and the stories they did have were all fun. But then you get this movie, Melody Time, Saludos Amigos, and The Three Caballeros... and I can't really stand them. I mean Make Mine Music, Saludos Amigos and Melody Time I'm willing to give them a 60 or a 70% because they did have some stories that I liked. The other stories in those films I just didn't like but I would declare the movies okay just because those stories weren't terrible The Three Caballeros might've been the case too if the second half of the movie isn't Donald chasing girls and last quarter of the movie was a mind f*ck which I just hated. I'm really taking what I recently heard the Nostalgia Critic say about a few of these particular films, but I have to agree with him that a lot of the actual good stories they had should've been made totally separate from these films. So in the case of this film, the stories that really stood out were Peter and the Wolf, The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met, and Johnny Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet. The rest weren't terrible but they weren't that interesting to me.

 

Music:It was nice. Again the parts that stood out were from Peter and the Wolf, The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met, and Johnny Fedora and Alice Blue Bonnet.

 

And that's my review for Make Mine Music. I know I was rambling about Disney package films to begin with, but a lot of what I had to say included this movie. So really I'm glad that that this is the last package film with more than two or three stories because I am done! done! DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment