Monday, January 16, 2012

The Little Mermaid (1989)

Rating: 60%
There's only five movies left. So let's get ready to finish this with Disney review # 47: The Little Mermaid.

Plot: Ariel is a mermaid who secretly hangs out at shipwrecks to collect human items. Her father, King Triton is highly against her even thinking going there but she does it all the same because of her big dream of knowing life outside of the sea. One night she bumps into a ship where see sees a handsome prince named Eric whom she rescues when his ship is hit by a hurricane. So her dream of going out of the sea goes even bigger by dreaming of being with Eric. This leads her to strike a bargain with the evil sea witch Ursula granting her wish to be human on the conditions that she has to give up her voice, and that she has three days to kiss Eric to become human for good or otherwise become a mermaid again and belong to Ursula.

Now why did I give this a 60? well I admit that it's a good film. Some of the music is spectacular, good story, nice comedy, pretty good villain, I all around can see how it started the Disney Renaissance. But I have a few personal issues with this film that had to do with how I viewed it even a toddler. I thought a fair amount of things were just weird such as Ariel's sisters at that orchestra with what they were wearing and one or two other things that I can't remember right now. But the biggest issue I have is when Triton was destroying Ariel's stuff. It kind started this little habit of mine for when I want to avoid watching a film or tv show where the main character is getting into big trouble or doing something really stupid. It's something that lives on still with stuff like The Office with all the really painful things Michael Scott does. So I believe I never exactly got really comfortable with this film just because of that. I know it's really ridiculous and just messed up beyond belief which I'm not arguing against, but it's just my own personal problem with this film that may never go away.

Characters:
Ariel: Well even without the whole deal with Triton destroying her stuff, I'm not a big fan of Ariel. I mean she is a total rebel and she does end up getting what she wants.
Sebastian: Sebastian was funny. I do enjoy his scenes with that chef.
Eric: Eric was an okay Disney prince. I mean at least the was development in him. BUt his part in the climax is pretty cool.
Ursula: She was a good villain. She's not my personal favorite, but you do have to enjoy how she uses the power she gets in the climax.


Music: Now even without the weird ways Ariel's sister's dress, I didn't really care for "Daughters of Triton." But the rest of the songs I enjoyed. I mean "fathoms below" is pretty nice,  and "Under the Sea", "Kiss the Girl  and "Part of your World" are unforgettable.

And that's my review for The Little Mermaid. It's a movie I don't really want to see a lot now or ever again, but fact is fact that it's still a good movie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment