Friday, January 20, 2012

Angels and Demons (2009)

Rating: 50%
Well I've been trying to get myself to write my review to this movie for a while but have never really succeeded until now. Now with this film, I saw most of it when I went to my grandparents' house last Labor Day and they told me how much the book was better so they let be borrow their copy of the book where afterwords I fully saw this. So here's my review for Angels & Demons.


Plot: Shortly after the an organization for nuclear research called CERN creates three containers of antimatter, an assassin kills a member and cuts his eye out to use it to steal one of the antimatters. Shortly afterwords, the Pope dies which leaves the papal conclave of Rome to vote for a new one. But then the preferiti (the four cardinals that are viewed to most likely to be the next pope) become captured supposedly by the Illuminati who intend to kill the preferiti one by one for each hour the night they declare who is going to be the pope and afterwords deactivate the container for the anitmatter thus destroying the Vatican. So the church relies on Professor Robert Langdon to investigate and use his knowledge to try to rescue the preferiti and spot the antimatter from destroying the city.

This is just and okay film. The book is so much better as I'm sure you have heard. But even then, it's a whole lot more interesting than the Da Vinci Code. The concept between church and science is just way more interesting. The book has more things explained and is even more suspensful. But it does make sense that they leave out a fair amount of stuff in the movie. But my biggest issue is how they changed or got rid of some of the side characters. For example, the Camerlengo is named Carlo Ventresca not Patrick McKenna. The commander's name is Olivetti, not Richter. And I think the biggest problem is that they completely got rid of the character Maximilian Kohler who is the director of CERN. Really having him as one of the good guys (roughly) works in the book because it kinda balances out with the fact that some of the people trying to stop the Illuminati were scientists as far as side characters go (so I mean outside of Vittoria.) But in this case, all the side characters were just members of the church or are trying to protect the church. So in a way - at least to me - this movie made all the good side characters just the church guys. I mean I don't have a problem with that, but personally I think the idea that there were good side characters from the church AND the scientist made it a little more complex.

Actors/Characters:
Tom Hanks/Robert Langdon: Hanks did an okay job. He did better than Da Vinci Code for sure. I would've liked to have given him more to do from the book.
Ayelet Zurer/Vittoria Vetra: She wasn't very good. The real problem was that like Hanks, they didn't give her enough from what's in the book. Langdon and Vetra actually start having a spark with each other in the book and they didn't really have that in this film. So in a way she was really just there.
Ewan McGregor/Camerlengo Patrick McKenna: *WARNING THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN THE FILM ONLY* All I want to say is that it's a surprise that we actually have McGregor as a villain. Maybe he's done that before, and I know he's going to be one in that one action film coming up, but I just want to say that I was surprised to see that when I saw this film.

Music: It was nice. I did enjoy the exciting song with the chorus, I don't know which part exactly but yeah.

Editing: I thought it was okay. nothing much.

And that's my review for Angels and Demons. While they couldn't have done everything from the book, it doesn't make the movie any less good that they changed a few things from side characters to the relationship between Langdon and Vetra.

No comments:

Post a Comment