Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Prince and the Pauper (1990)

Rating:100%
Okay so now that Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is out of the way, all that's left for the Disney Marathon is Atlantis: The Lost Empire which will be made my 200th review tonight. But before I get to that film, as my 199th review, I want to share with you all a very underrated animated short. One that was one of my oldest friends movie wise growing up to the point that when my dear mother found it only about two weeks ago, all I could do as she gave it to me was make a silly excited squeal as I hugged the tape. So before we say our farewells to the 100's of my reviews, let me introduce to you an animated short that you never even heard of and is super underrated and one I highly recommend:  Disney's The Prince and the Pauper.


Plot: A wise and good king of England lies dying, leaving his ruthless and evil captain of the guard, Pete to steal and terrorize the people of England in the name of the king. The one day, a Pauper named Mickey chases his dog Pluto all the way to the King's castle where he is captured by Pete and ordered to be brought to the prince. But when he meets the prince, they find out that they look and sound exactly alike. The Prince who dreams of life outside of the castle, comes up with the idea of trading lives with Mickey. So as Mickey discovers the life of royalty, the prince wanders outside the castle where he discovers the terror that Pete has done all over the kingdom in the name of his father.  

I'm just going to say it straight and true. This is a wonderful film. Ever since I was a kid and even now I found every single thing in this film to be just undoubtedly awesome. The characters were lovable, the animation was excellent, the music was spectacular, the comedy was funny a heck, everything was just well done. The only weird thing was *WARNING SPOILER ALERT! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT THIS ONE UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN JUST BECAUSE I SAID SO* that there was a door in the castle that lead nowhere which the Prince, Donald and Goofy used to get rid of the guards. That didn't really make sense. But that's doesn't ruin it for me even now that I've grown up.

Characters:
Mickey and the Prince: Now of all the original Disney characters, Mickey was always my favorite because he was the hero and the leader. Now in this one there are two Mickeys that give us the same fun we can get with just one. They were so much fun.
Donald and Goofy: Now I may not be an expert in Donald and Goofy, but for me this is where I thought Donald for sure was at his funniest in this film. I just love his parts in the film from beginning to end. Goofy may not have gone that far for me but he's still just as lovable.

Music: Like I said, the music is spectacular. "Like a King" and it's reprise was fun and you can't tell me that the score isn't just very well done.

And that's my review for The Prince and the Pauper. If you've never seen it, you should check it out. Because for me, it's another underrated film that I want to be shown to my children and their children just as much as I do with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Disney in general, Harry Potter, The Lord himself and so many others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment