Friday, January 20, 2012

Sucker Punch (2011)

Rating: 30%
Well about a year ago, I tried to see this movie in theaters. However, I was a little concerned with the things I thought I was going to see in this film so I went to see Rango instead.

Plot: A girl only known as BabyDoll is sent to an institution by her sexually abusive stepfather after he blames her for the death of her younger sister. Her stepfather bribes the doctor of the institution to forging the signature of the asylum's psychiatrist to have BabyDoll lobotomized. As this happens to BabyDoll she begins to imagine the asylum as brothel where the doctor is envisioned as a mobster. From there the story is about her trying to escape the brothel with some of the other girls through her dance to all the men of the brothel where she imagines her and the girls in these fantasy worlds.

This may be a little more enjoyable than Rango (OH MY FREAKING GOSH MORE ENJOYABLE!!!) But it's still not that good. Some of the things are a little hard to understand right away, the action is not all that good, all around it wasn't very well put together. When I heard about this movie, I thought it was going to be a movie with a decent plot, and some really awesome action in some fantasy worlds. In a way I got that, but at the same time, not enough. The story did turn out to be decent, and the acting was okay, but...I don't know. It just did not deliver in being as big as they said it was going to be. In my opinion, the concept of the film was fine, but I would've liked to have seen more of the fantasy worlds BabyDoll imagines when she dances - maybe even as a separate film.

Acting/Characters
Emily Browning/BabyDoll: She did an okay job, but my one really big problem was that when it came to action, she didn't seem to have done a good job with the choreography. With killing the giant samurai with the stan minigun just didn't look very believable. She got better later on but still.
Abbie Cornish and Jena Malone/Sweat Pea and Rocket: I thought they were alright. They did a decent job with showing the relationship between the two sisters.

Music: I had mixed feelings about the music. None of it really comes to mind, but in general, some of it worked, some of it didn't.

Editing: Eh, same thing as the music. It had it's good and bad points.

And that's my review for Sucker Punch. I can't really describe why it's bad other than it just wasn't as big as it really should've been.

2 comments:

  1. Good review. I gave it about 10% more than you did. I felt the only good things were the music, the style, the effects and the fights (the last one got repetitive). Besides, how believable can you get when your fighting a giant samurai with a machine gun? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and yeah I can agree with the last thing you said but i'm just saying that her movements were...wooden in a sense.

    ReplyDelete