Friday, January 20, 2012

Casablanca (1942)

Rating: 100%
During the conclusion for my review for Lawrence of Arabia, I said that shortly after finishing my Disney Marathon I would start focusing on many other films - particularly best picture winners and nominees. And I stand by what I said starting with one movie that I've failed to see for a very long time. One that I had finally saw only two days before finishing the marathon. One of the big ones. one of the top guns. The movie that has been said to be one of the most romantic film, and it's characters, dialogue, and music to be very iconic. It goes without saying that I am of coarse talking about the Best Picture winner of 1943: Casablanca.


Plot:  Rick Blaine is an American currently residing in Casablanca in his night club "Rick's Cafe American". But one day, a dear old flame from Paris named Ilsa Lund comes back trying to explain to him why she didn't join him when he was leaving for Casablanca when the Nazi's invade Paris. 

I know that's very brief, but I'm sure it works considering we don't want me telling too much for those of you who still haven't seen this film. But anyway, I have to admit this is a very good film. I enjoyed some of the subtext that there was to this movie, the story was very well done, and I"m glad I understand where some of the dialogue and stuff that have been spoofed in other films have originated from. I don't really find it as romantic as some people claim it is but my dad did say that it most likely is that case considering it's time and frankly I'm good with that opinion. I mean I won't deny that it is a romantic film that's very well done, but I don't think it's the most romantic movie I've seen. But still, it's an enjoyable film.


Actors/Characters:
Humphrey Bogart/Rick Blaine: He did an excellent job. I do admit that when it comes to the very end of the movie, I can clearly see why he's # 4 on the AFI list of top heroes.
Ingrid Bargman/Ilsa Lund: She did a very good job. too. Nuthun much else to say about that.

Music: The music was very enjoyable.

Editing: I liked the editing.

And that's my review for Casablanca. I hope it's not too long that I find the time to watch this film again.

No comments:

Post a Comment