Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Rating: 80%
Well today I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and War Horse. Now this one I was interested to see pretty much right away because of how the trailer I first saw looked interesting and it wasn't even telling anyone a thing about this film. And while there's some little downs about this movie, the main thing was that I was very far from disappointed.

Plot: Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist who is gets attacked publicly after losing a case that has left him and the magazine he works for disgraced. But then he gets offered by Henrik Vanger, who's a retired CEO of his family's business to write about his family's history and to try to crack the case about his niece, Harriet who disappeared 40 years ago. At the same time, the story is about Lisbeth Salander, a researcher and computer hacker whose legal guardian has recently had a stroke and has gained a new one who unlike the last one, gets control of her finances and gives her monthly allowances in exchange for sexual favors.


I was pretty well into this movie. The mystery was interesting, some of the characters were very clever and in some cases unique, and there was PLENTY of suspense, at least to me. It's probably a movie that you may have to see more than once to roughly understand everything, but only seeing it once doesn't make it any less good.


Actors/Characters:
Daniel Craigg/Mikael Blomkvist: I thought he did a very good job with his character.
Rooney Mara/Lisbeth Salander: Now this character I really liked. She just showed through and through that she was not someone you should ever mess with. The only thing is that, when I looked at other critics' reviews tot his film, some of them said that the relationship between Lisbeth and Mikael, doesn't make a whole lot of sense...and for the most part, yes, they're right. Looking back, she did have more of an attitude where she could've barley have cared about helping Mikael much less starting a relationship. But otherwise I thought she was a pretty good, unique character.


Music: I thought it was very well done. It really worked with what was happening throughout the movie.

Editing: I thought the editing was well done too. The only thing I had with it is that there seemed to have been one or two things like the framed flowers and stuff like that, that to me were kinda lead to believe that the were somehow a big part of the story when they were hardly there after the first 40 minutes (give a take). Maybe they do have some big importance that is explained in the book that they just didn't really get into or something, I don't know. I may need to watch this movie again to see but that what I think.

And that's my review for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Despite having a few things that just hardly made any sense, I thought it was an excellent film that kept me interested pretty much the whole time. Tune in, in about an hour or so for my review for War Horse.

2 comments: