Friday, January 13, 2012

Never Let Me Go (2010)

Rating: 80%
Well I finally watched this. I've been wanting to for over a year now to see it ever since I looked at the poster for it at the break room in the film school I go to and it was just last night that I saw it.


Plot: The film is about a girl named Kathy who goes to a boarding school called Hailsham with her friends Tommy and Ruth. But it turns out according to a new teacher, Miss Lucy that all the children in the school are raised just to become organ donor to the point where they will likely die in their late twenties. As they grow up Kathy begins to fall in love with Tommy but he suddenly forms a relationship with Ruth.

I thought this was a very clever film. It's creative, it's pretty well made, and you really want to know what happens to these characters.


Actors/Characters:
Carey Mulligan/Kathy H: I thought she did a very good job. It's just really sad what this character goes through.
Andrew Garfield/Tommy:I thought his acting was very well done too. Nice to get to know a little more of Garfield's work before we see him as The Amazing Spider-man. *excited squeak*
Keira Knightley/Ruth: She did a very good job with her character. It's really in her last scene where you really begin to actually care for the character.

Music: I thought the music worked with what they were doing in this film.

Editing: Most of the editing I thought was fine, but some of it I thought wasn't that good. My main issues were how when young Kathy and Ruth were talking about Miss Lucy coming to the school, the next shot is a wide shot where we can't really see her and Miss Emily because they're also showing a whole bunch of other students playing. So I thought that was not a good choice of shot for that moment. There was also a shot where Tommy was drawing and then a door we don't see open which makes him close his book. They don't give us an idea why he does that. I can assume that it's because Kathy came into the room because the next shot is them walking in the woods, but we can't really tell what's the point of that shot for sure.

And that's my review for Never Let me go. It's a nice film that I think is worth your time seeing.

2 comments:

  1. terrific review, great to see how far this crop of British talent has gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Thank you very much Rodders.

    ReplyDelete