Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Muppet Treasure Island (1996)

Rating: 70%

It's been an extremely long time sine I last saw this film. I mean I think the last time was like, at church back in 1997 or 98, something like that. But now I've seen it again so off to this review of Muppet Treasure Island.

Plot: Jim Hawkins is an orphan who lives and works for Mrs. Bluberidge's inn with his friends Gonzo and Rizzo. But then adventure calls when sailor, Billy Bones is given the black spot, the pirates' death sentence. Before Bones dies, he tells Jim to take his treasure map and to beware the one legged man. So Jim, Gonzo and Rizzo escape the pirates that attack the inn shorty after Bones dies, and travel to Bristol where they meet Squire Trelawney (Fozzie Bear) who agrees to finance a voyage to the treasure. So they set off to find the treasure with Captain Smollett (Kermit the Frog) and his first mate, Mr. Arrow (Sam the Eagle). But Gonzo becomes worried when Jim befriends the one-legged cook Long John Silver.

This is a nice film. It's not the best but it's enjoyable enough with the Muppets and some familiar actors. It's just a nice, funny, movie with a little bit of action, nice music, and some cool movie references (most notable, Star Trek and On the Waterfront.)


Actors/Characters:
Kevin Bishop/Jim Hawkins: He did a nice job acting. He wasn't the best, but I think he did a good enough job.
Tim Curry/Long John Silver: He was pretty nice. I mean it's Tim Curry, so naturally he played a pretty nice villain. I only hate his last scene with Jim because it was pretty cheesy. But other than that, pretty good.
The Muppets: Rizzo and Gonzo were funny. I liked Gonzo's Star Trek reference. I thought it was a little silly how Kermit and Miss Piggy kinda fell in love again a little too easily. The rest of the group were good.


Music: I enjoyed "Shiver my Timbers" a lot. I mostly enjoyed "Cabin Fever", but it took some getting use to with how music kept changing, but it's still good.

Editing: editing was nice. the only thing is that i noticed that when the pirates were attacking the inn, one shot was use twice, only that the second time it was speed up.


And that's my review for Muppet Treasure Island. It's a decent enjoyable film that has the Muppets' version of Treasure Island.

2 comments: