Monday, December 26, 2011

The Rescuers (1977)

Rating: 70%
Now I grew up more with Rescuers Down Under, but my siblings and I at least had a book on this one, and we did rent it once in a while. So here's Disney review #36: The Rescuers.


Plot: Penny is an orphan who is kidnapped by the evil, greedy Medusa who forces her to go into a cave to go after the Devil's Eye, the biggest diamond in the world. Penny manages to drop a message in a bottle to try to send for help. The bottle is eventually recovered by mice that are part of the Rescue Aid Society. The Society sends out the Hungarian representative, Miss Bianca to find and rescue Penny accompanied by Bernard, the Society's janitor.

I think that this is definitely one of Disney's darkest and most depressing movies. I mean the swamp was very dark and gloomy, and just the way they introduced Jenny throughout most of the film was just so sad. I mean I knew Penny's problem was a big deal, but now that I'm older, when I saw this movie again last week I was like "...OH MY GOSH!!! THIS IS REALLY SAD!!!" I mean it helps that this movie does balance it out a bit with still having fun animal characters and having a particular kind of ending, but still.

Characters:
Bernard and Miss Bianca: I just plain like these characters. The one thing I like that's different between them in this movie and the second one, is that Rescuers Down Under didn't have much of Bernard's superstition. I liked that because I thought that enough of that was shown already from this movie alone so I'm glad that they stopped after this film.
Penny: I thought she was a cute character. They did a pretty good job in showing how much she was so sad and desperate to be rescued.
Medusa: Oh goodness gracious I hate this woman. She was just so evil forcing Penny into that cave and even telling her things like no one was going to adopt her and stuff. You just have to really hate her, she's that good of a villain.

Music: I didn't like a lot of the music just because it was much too depressing. The music for the animals in the Bayou was good and I am a little fond of the "Tomorrow is another Day" song.

And that's my review for The Rescuers. It's a nice film, just did a little to well in making it sad and dark.

2 comments: