Sunday, December 4, 2011

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

My Rating: 20%

Well everyone, the time has come at last. I have now watched, from what I understand is one of the worst of the worst, a Star Trek film so bad that the franchise might not have continued because of it. This is my review for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.


Plot: In the neutral zone, on the planet Nimbus III, three ambassadors ( a human, a Klingon and a Romulan) are captured when the city they are in is attacked by a terrorist group. So the members of the new USS Enterprise are brought out of shore leave to rescue the ambassadors. However, along the way, a Klingon Captain named Klaa begins to chase the Enterprise in order to fight Kirk for personal glory, and the leader of the terrorist group tursn out to be Sybok, Spock's half-brother.


Well...in my opinion it's not quite as bad as I thought it would be. I mean yeah, they totally had it coming with the Razzies they won for this film. But for me, when it came to hearing about this film long before I even got very far on the original series of Star Trek, people made it sound like it's practically Batman & Robin/Last Airbender/effects that contain things like just filming a model spaceship hanging on wire under a poorly done background kind of bad. But it was STILL bad. I mean for one thing, yes, the effects where just terrible. I mean not even the effects for the background showing a lot of stars on the windows of one of the rooms inside the Enterprise weren't all that good. And there were a lot of things that just didn't make sense. For example, Uhura was dancing naked just to distract a few enemies (effective but still...seriously?) Kirk shooting the sign off of that bar in the middle of the battle (okay, that sign was not exactly to coolest sign ever but...seriously?) and Scotty randomly gets knocked out unconscious after bumping his head on a part of the ship while walking down the hall (a little funny but again...seriously?) And what really messes with my head was Sybok with the fact that he's a Vulcan and he actually has EMOTION!!!! Seriously!! I mean in one way it's cool, I mean with going out of the ordinary a little, but that leaves out a couple of questions: 1) Who is Sybok's mother and was she Sarek's first wife before Amanda? ( I mean I'm sure she was but still) and 2) I may not know everything about Star Trek yet, but based on what I remember from a original series episode, can't it be a dangerous and kinda fatal for Vulcans to have a certain amount of emotion? I mean I know Sybok was not exactly Jim Carry in Liar Liar, but still. And the scenes with Klaa where kinda pointless. I mean yes his part helps during the climax, but most of the time he's just scheming over fighting Kirk. I mean sure it hasn't been done with any villain...except for Vader & Palpatine, Robotnik & Snively, Voldemort with Wormtail and Barty Crouch Jr, The Decepticons, Lord Becket, Crocker from Fairly Oddparents, the villains from the new Muppets movie, well you get the picture. Although it did have good points. I mean the comedy was okay, and while both times that Kirk, McCoy and Spock were camping weren't spectacular, they were still nice with how Kirk and McCoy are trying to teach Spock the ways of camping all the way to get him to sing songs like "Row, Row Row your boat." (although when they say the title, I think they say row around 6 times instead of just 3)



Acting/Characters
William Shatner/Captain James T. Kirk: I heard it once said that William Shatner has NEVER seen any film or TV series that he has done except the dailies from this film. So really combine that fact and that he DIRECTED this film and I think it's a bit acceptable that he got worst director and actor at the Razzies. The only way it was acceptable was at the end with how he reacts to God wanting a spaceship.
Leonard Nimoy/ Spock: Luckily for many fans...or at least for me, Spock stayed just the way he was even if Shatner's directing.
DeForest Kelley/Leonard McCoy: I may not be the best judge ever when it comes to acting, but I'm not really sure why Kelley was at least nominated for worst supporting actor. I mean to me he was just being McCoy. I guess it has something to do with the scene that has to do with his dad but I can't really say. I mean maybe he wasn't good in that, but I honestly can't really tell considering he's not exactly Robert Patterson, Kristen Stewart or that girl that's always crying that played Katara in Last Airbender.
Laurence Lucinbill/Sybok: he was...an okay character. Certainly interesting considering, again, that he's a Vulcan with emotion.


Music: it was nothing special. just good that they play the theme music at some points.
   

Editing: eh, it's nothing special.

And that's my review for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. It was not the worst movie I've ever seen but it still was pretty bad. But at least in some ways it was still enjoyable...very very small ways.

1 comment: