Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Aristocats ( 1970)

Rating: 80%

Now here's a movie that's also been quite some time. I never owned this movie, but I remember I use to see it plenty of times either at a neighbor's house or at the preschool I use to go to or something like that when I was little. So anyway, here's Disney review #29: The Aristocats


Plot: Duchess and her kittens Marie, Berlioz, and Toulouse, live with their rich mistress Madame Bonfamille and her butler Edgar. One Day, Madame Donfamille calls her lawyer to create her will. She declares that when she dies, everything she owns will go to her cats and when they're gone, everything will go to Edgar. Edgar overhears this and is unwilling to wait until the cats die. So the puts sleeping pills in the cat's food and at night, takes them to drown them in a creek. However, his plot is interrupted by two hounds dogs and while Edgar manages to escape them, leaves the cats under a bridge. The next day, the cats come across an alley cat named O'Malley who agrees to help them get back to their mistress.


This is a nice film. The music is pretty good, some of the characters are just hilarious, and the story is pretty good all around.


Characters:
O'Malley: The thing I personally really like about O'Malley is how it didn't take him very long to be totally friendly to the kittens as well as being really smitten with Duchess. You see, normally for a guy who's trying to get with a girl in a movie, he has to just pretend to be playing with the siblings, or children, or children she's baby sitting or something like that, and then actually care for the kids during the climax of the film. So we're talking about movies like Just Go with It (Never saw it, but I'm sure that's how it ends) or Despicable Me (no woman involved, but he's still using those kids to reach his goal.) But O'Malley starts to actually care for the kids almost right away. Not to mention - * WARNING SPOILER * -  he eventually asks Duchess to stay and make him the kittens' father. I mean I don't know about you guys, but O'Malley here is a heck of a break from plenty of other guy characters that comes across something around that.
Duchess and the Kittens: they were pretty nice characters. the only thing is that I thought it was silly that Marie seemed to have an English accent even though she's French. (I don't know if she really was, i couldn't really tell.)
Napoleon and Lafayette: I loved these guys. In terms of comedy, they totally stole the show.
Edgar: I'd had to say that Edgar was one of the worst Disney Villains. Just because he was a wimp.

Music: "Everybody want to be a Cat" I enjoyed. Mostly just during the end of the actual song and at the end of the movie, but still the song in general.

And that's my review for The Aristocats. It's a pretty good film and certainly one of the Disney Classics. 

4 comments:

  1. a terrific Disney flick, brilliant review

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure. By the way, are Napoleon and Lafayette the hound dogs? If so, I was just curious, what was the mouse's name if his name was neither of those?

    ReplyDelete