Monday, December 26, 2011

Brother Bear (2003)

Rating: 50%

Not much to say as an intro to this one except here's Disney review # 37: Brother Bear.


Plot: the movie is set in a post-ice age where a tribe lives in a place where they believe their ancestors are in a aurora where they are all formed as animals. One of the tribe members, Kenai is finally given his scared totem which - to his disappointment - turns out to be the bear of love. Later they find their basket of fish taken from bears, so Kenai goes after one, followed by his brothers Sitka and Denahi. The fight ends with Sitka sacrificing himself to save his brothers. Angry over his brother's loss, Kenai goes after the bear and succeeds killing it. As punishment, the spirits come and turn Kenai into a bear and he has to go to where the lights touch the earth in order to be turned back into a human. Along the way, he comes across an obnoxious, chatty cub named Koda who agrees to take him to where the lights touch the earth on the condition that he takes Koda to the bear salmon run.

It's a fairly cute movie, but at the same time, it's just far from very creative. You completely know what's going to happen in the end, so the only amusement is just some of the supportive characters and a couple of the songs.

Chracters:
Kenai: I didn't like this character. His type just has been done so many times and I'm sick of it.
Koda: eh, so-so character.
Rutt and Tuke: They were a little cute.

Music:  I liked "Great Spirits", and "On My Way". The rest was just okay.

And that's my review for Brother Bear. It's a half and half film filled with a cheesy plot and main character balanced with some nice characters and some good music. 

2 comments:

  1. Matthew David ClineJune 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM

    I don't know. I thought that song "Look Through My Eyes" that plays right after the stills during the end credits was great too. But that's me though. It's cool whether you agree or disagree me liking it along with "Great Spirits" and "On My Way" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew David ClineMarch 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

    Honestly, I didn't think it was all that bad. I recently watched this film, along with Lilo & Stitch and Treasure Planet, and I will say that watching them again many years later after it being a long time since I last saw them and what not, they're all interestingly enough better than I remembered. For this one, I thought some of the songs, including the ending song "Look Through My Eyes," were nice and I also liked the scene where Kenai confesses that he killed Koda's mother and tries to make up for it and such, you know? I thought that it was also great how they had the forgiveness theme with Koda having to forgive and reconcile with Kenai and such, you know what I mean? Oh, and by the way, am I the only one who may have noticed that this film and Fox & The Hound may have a little bit in common with each other in minor ways?

    ReplyDelete