Monday, September 3, 2012

Kill Bill Vol 1 (2003)

Rating: 90%
Well Django Unchained is on it's way and since the only Tarantino film I've reviewed so far is good ol' Inglorious Basterds (love that movie), it's high time that I tackle all of the other films. So why not start with Kill Bill.

Plot: A blonde woman known only as The Bride was a pregnant lady before she was wounded after being attacked by a group of people lead by the mysterious Bill. After a shot in the head, she is unconscious for 4 years until she wakes up and swears revenge against Bill and all his associates. So she begins a quest to kill all four of Bill's companions to eventually work her way to kill Bill himself.

This is a very clever and interesting movie. I mean you have the more noticeable things that Tarantino takes from other films, (the most interesting to me was the Klingon quote during the beginning) you have your comedy that was pretty nice, some action that kick rear with all of your cutting off head/ limb and all around blood and gore pleasures, the brief scenes of animation are deep and intense, and it has some enjoyable characters and a pretty good story. The only thing that I find off is *WARNING SPOILERS* Is how the beginning is set with The Bride killing Copperfield after killing Cottonmouth. I think it makes more sense to say that Copperfield was the first one she killed because that seems a little off to make her the second one The Bride killed while making everything else  in flashback....or the first scene is in flash-forward...  I guess it's all a matter of how you look at it. But that's the only thing I have with the story with this film. *END OF SPOILERS*  

Actor/Character:
Uma Thurman/The Bride: She did an excellent job with her acting when it came to all of the really dramatic moments that she goes through and even then she gives us a really awesome character with just how much of a bad-a The Bride is. She's just a well done action hero that you have to enjoy what she's doing.
Lucy Liu/O-Ren Ishii a.k.a.Cottonmouth: I also liked this character and found it pretty deep when they showed her reaction to witnessing her parents (but really her mother's) deaths. And I did enjoy her monologue that she was giving to that group of Mafia leaders. 


Music: This movie became more interesting music wise when I came to noticing how Tarantino takes music from other films. I never noticed with Inglorious Bastards because...well the music wasn't as familiar as it was with that one. The most noticeable that I liked was Battle without Honor or Humanity.

Editing: Now I know the whole changing the color to black and white during the fight against the crazy 88 is a reference to another movie, but I wasn't too big on it. But understand that's just from my totally biased point of view.

And that's my review for Kill Bill Vol 1. It's an excellent movie with awesome action, characters that were very well acted especially in the really deep parts that happen to them, some good comedy and just gives us a very good story to tell all around.

2 comments:

  1. Great review, HAK. I love this film. The scene where Oh-ren ishi decapitates that one guy is my fave scene from the entire film. The seconds a bit more wordy than it should've been, but still good.

    ReplyDelete