Saturday, September 15, 2012

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

Rating: 90%
This one I mostly wanted to see because I wanted to know what was it about that film that made it beat Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. I mean I thought it should not have happened, my brother who's the bigger best picture expert then me has seen both and though Lord of the Rings should have won. So with the plan to start focusing more on best picture winners for my reviews, I figured it was about time that I watch the movie and see whether or not I agree or disagree with that choice. So here's my review for A Beautiful Mind.

Plot: John Nash is co-recipient at Princeton University who has a roommate named Charles who often tries to get him out of his studies. One day he comes up with a brand new idea on Governing Dynamics which leads him to end up having an appointment with MIT. Years later he is hired by the pentagon to crack encrypted enemy communication, but he eventually is sent to a psychiatric facility that he thinks is secretly run by the Soviets despite the fact that the people int he facility and even his wife claim that the whole Soviets communication and even his roommate are not real.

This was actually a rather well done movie. The characters were good, the acting was interesting, and the story was more interesting as the movie went on. Now, without saying anything, I thought that what happens during the second half of the film was something of a drag but eventually they made up for it by making the goal for the characters into something that made each of them much enjoyable and also made me care much more for them. Now would I say that it deserved to win Best Picture against Lord of the Rings? In my biased but slightly reasonable opinion, no. But now that I've seen it, I at least know that at least Fellowship lost to an good and respectable movie... unlike some OTHER movies *glares at Out of Africa and Shakespeare in Love*

Actor/Character:
Russell Crowe/John Nash: Surprisingly, He actually did a very commendable with his acting. I mean maybe it's because of the fact that most of the movies I watch with him in is mostly him in action film where he's all serious and kind bad-a an- no wait, that's completely the reason why. But seriously, Crowe was much better with playing a different character, and I enjoyed him much more because he started to become someone I can roughly relate to. How is that so, well I'm going to have to do a spoiler alert on that so if you haven't seen it, go watch it before you read this explanation. *WARNING SPOILERS* Well I mostly relate because, for those of you who don't know, I have High-Functioning Autism, and through a fair portion of my childhood I was roughly similar to John Nash. I didn't have that big of a social life, I was more focused on the stuff I wanted to do, and I had imaginary friends and altogether, an entire world in my mind to daydream about. It wasn't as bad as it was with Nash with thinking that the stuff in my mind was real or anything but in certain aspects, it was roughly the same thing. And also similar to John I was able to eventually grow out of it and started to focus a little more on real things which lead me to make more close friends, have a better social life and I was more able to overcome things with my autism as a whole. Are things perfect? No.  I mean I have yet to do anything close to have a good career and have a wife and kid(s), like John Nash, there's still stuff I have to work on with my autism,  and also like Nash, the memories or ghosts or whatever come back at times, but in the long run we have both managed to eventually overcome the world that we created in our mind for ourselves and eventually focused more on the real world and that why i really like this character. *END OF SPOILERS*

Editing: I thought it was nicely done, I don't know if I agree with it being nominated for Best Editing for that year as well, but it was still well done.

And that's my review for A Beautiful Mind. While it's not as worthy to win as Fellowship of the Ring, it still gives us a well made movie with a good story and a character I enjoy and can roughly relate to personally.  

1 comment:

  1. Timothy - I enjoyed your review and the spoiler you shared. I think I can relate a lot. See ya soon, Cathy

    ReplyDelete