Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Holes (2003)

Rating: 75%
I remember when I was reading the book back in the 5th grade and I enjoyed it a lot. So I was excited when I heard they were doing a movie based on the book. So I decided it's high time I finally time that I see this movie again and finally review it. So here's my review for Holes.

Plot: Stanley Yelnats IV is a teenager who is born into a family that believes that they are cursed because his "No-good-dirty-rotten-pig-stealing-great-great-grandfather". One day a pair of shoes falls on him that turns out to be the shoes of a famous baseball player. The police arrest him believing he stole them and rather then sending him to jail, the judge sends him to Camp Greenlake: a detention camp at a dried-up lake where the detainees have to dig a hole on the lake everyday. While at the camp we are also learn more about his great-great grandfather and also a story about a teacher who feel in love with a black man a century before the events of the film in a town at the same place shortly before the lake dried up.

I really enjoy this move and the story to it. It may have it's parts where some of the things in it sound unrealistic, but that's not that big of a deal since you should bear in mind that it is based off of a kids book. But what a good book it was and I honestly think this is one of those rare times where I felt the movie was better. It displayed a very interesting and unique world while giving us all these interesting stories that came together very well with characters that were fun to watch and it was a creative film through and through. I mostly say that it's better then the book because I think it did a better job then the book did with the story because I think the way they organized the stories and explaining how they all connect with what's happening to Stanley and his friends and some of the differences from the books I think helped with that a fair bit.

Actors/Characters:
Shia Labeouf/Stanley Yelnats: This is where I've been particularly sad at what has been happening to Labouf ever since he became Sam Witwickey in the Transformers movies. Because LaBeouf gave us a very enjoyable character that you just had to enjoy and he acted very well to bring us it. I stand by my opinion from when I was reviewing Transformers: Dark of the Moon that I really hope things change for the better with Labouf now that his Transformers days have ended. Maybe things roughly have already with Lawless, I don't know for sure because I haven't seen it yet but from what I hear he's pretty good. I'll just have to hopefully see someday.
Signourney Weaver/The Warden: She was very enjoyable as The Warden with the catchphrase and everything. Then again maybe it's my biased opinion to say so since it's Weaver...aw who cares!?! It's fricking Ripley for heaven sakes!!!

Music: I really like the soundtrack to this film. I mean you have that short version of "Down In The River to Pray" and songs like that, that where nice. But then you get that song "Dig it" I've always wanted to get that song on a CD or on my MP3 or something like that with no success which SUCKS because it's a totally awesome song that's just catchy as FRICK!!!

And that's my review for Holes. It gives us a very creative and imaginative world that tells a clever kids story a little better then the book that it's based off of that is definitely a very enjoyable movie to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment