Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Secret World of Arrietty (2010)

Rating:75%Man I've been trying to watch this movie for a while. It looks just interesting just with the fact alone that it was another Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film (though he didn't direct it) so when I saw the trailer for it when i went to see a movie in theaters earlier this year...maybe longer then that, I wanted to see it ever since. So now that I finally have, here's my review for The Secret World of Arrietty.

Plot: Arrietty is a borrower - these little people who borrow things that people won't miss - whose family lives lives in this little house buried deep inside the house of this old woman and her maid, Haru. One day Arrietty's father  allows her to go on an expedition to borrow a couple of things for the night but when they do they are spotted by the old woman's great nephew, Sho. Her father forbids her from seeing him again, but she secretly comes to see him anyway and they form a friendship. But Haru become suspicious of Sho and starts he own investigation in finding the borrowers.

This was...just okay. I mean it still has some of the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli charm with the story and some of the characters and of coarse, animation and stuff like that, but it doesn't quite have the same magical feel about it. Maybe I'm only thinking that because there aren't any spirits, wizards, witches or heaven knows what, but I guess that's why. Sure it's a little magical with there being little people and all but it guess it didn't have as much of a unique and complex world and story to it as I'm roughly use to when it comes to most of their films. But I enjoy it anyway with some of the adventure it brings along with the whole friendship between the guy and the girl and all that with a little twist that I found interesting so while it wasn't what I'm use to, I enjoyed it all the same.

Characters:
Sho: He was nothing special at first, but once he revealed to Arrietty what was happening to him, that's when the film became much more interesting, and made me care about him so much more. I mean my friend and I kept talking about his over what was happening to him and he just really did it for this film to me.
Arrietty: She was a very nice character. I thought it was cool how she came up with all these ways to using things like pins and earrings to travel around the house and stuff. And her relationship with Sho was just easy to cling onto.

And that's my review for The Secret World of Arrietty. It may not have as much uniqueness or complexity that I usually enjoy in a Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli film, but the story and the characters make it interesting enough that it's still a very enjoyable film all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment