Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Top Gun (1986)

Rating: 55%
After hearing the tragic death of this movie's Tony Scott (Requiescat in pace (rest in peace in italian)) I figured it was time to finally review what seems to be his most famous piece. So here's my review for Top Gun.

Plot: Maverick is a pilot that flies a F-14 Tomcat along with his Radar Intercept Officer and best friend Goose for the USS Enterprise. One day during while intercepting MiG-28s, Maverick's wingman Cougar becomes too shaken to land his plan afterwords so Maverick disobeys orders and helps him land. Later Cougar retires and so Commander Stinger unwillingly sends Maverick and Goose to Top Gun school which is meant for the "best of the best" and was also meant for Cougar and his Radar Officer before he became shaken and retired. So Maverick and Goose start going to Top Gun where they developed a rivalry against another pilot named Iceman who is the top student of the school and Maverick falls in love with a woman named Charlie who turn out to be one of their Top Gun Instructors.

Now I know this is meant to kind of pay my respects to the director, honestly, it's just eh. The story was just alright, the characters where nothing unique and the action was okay.  I guess the problem is that I've roughly heard the concept to some of the story many times before. And some of the things that happened I thought where a little ridiculous. *WARNING SPOILERS* I thought it was stupid that Iceman and Maverick became friends the way they did. I mean personally I agree with howitshouldhavended.com that Maverick should still be pissed at Iceman over what happened to Goose. *END OF SPOILERS*

Actor/Character:
Tom Crusie/Maverick: Yeah he was just okay. I mean he acted his character fine but the whole dead parents and the something of a bad boy attitude has been done before...that's kind of all there is to it.

Music: To the movie's credit it did give us a pretty enjoyable soundtrack. I mean "You Lost That Lovin' Feelin" and "Great Balls of Fire" goes without saying, and my word does "Danger Zone" get really fricking catchy to listen to.

And that's my review for Top Gun. I'm sure there's plenty of reason to love and remember it but really it's just eh for me and the best part to remember from it are generally are certain songs from the soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment