Tuesday, September 25, 2012

High School Musical 2 (2007)

Rating: 10%
Ugh. Well I had to get with this particular part of the trilogy eventually. I just hope I don't have to ever again after this. But anyway, here's my review for High School Musical 2.

Plot: Summer break has started for East High School so all the students are getting excited to get started on their vacation and also looking for summer jobs. Sharpay intends to use her summer to continue pursuing Troy why having her family's country club, Lava Springs, hire Troy for the summer. Troy being unaware of her intentions agrees on the condition that they also give jobs to Gabriella and all of his friends. Sharpay is upset about Gabriella working there so she goes through all these attempts to get her fired while pursuing Troy by having the manager continue promoting him and getting him to meet these college basketball stars.

Now I have this friend who is a big HSM geek and one of the main things we never agreed on when it came to it was that she thought the third movie was the worst while I believe that in fact this one is COMPLETELY the worst. I mean under a couple of exceptions that I will get to, most of the singing numbers are between forgettable to nothing out of the ordinary from the soundtrack from the last film, the choreography is generally non-existant as far as I"m concerned when it's not "I Don't Dance", "Work This Out" and in a debatable sense, "Fabulous." I mean after that, most of the choreography is just jumping up and down and acting all energetic and or just standing around. And the story and some of the characters are just about the worst part of it. I mean Vanessa Hudgens was a little better but some of the other characters - which I will get to - and the story was just cheesy, unrealistic and just all around stupid.

Actors/Characters:
Zac Effron/Troy Bolton: Now this is where I really began to hate this character. I mean feel free to skip this if you don't want any spoilers but it's just that this guy realized that Sharpay is still pursuing him and that she's giving him what he wants so she could get to him, but what really gets me is that eventually he falls for the act and actually deep down begins to care more about his dream about basketball and stuff then he does about Gabriella and his friends. I really don't care that he changes in the end it's just the way that it's all because of Sharpay and that should go without saying and yet he willingly falls for it. I'm sure not everyone feels that way, but that's how I feel deep down.
Ashley Tisdale/Sharpay Evens: Well obviously she's a cheesy and annoying character and I just want to get it out of the way to say that how she changes during the end was just because she knew things where not gonna go her way.

Music: Okay no I'm not 100% right about my little philosophy that there's three kinds of ways to rate a song from HSM. I mean I do have Bland But Guilty Pleasures: which would be "You are the Music in Me" and "Bet on It", and I do have my Bland and Forgettable which would definitely be "What Time is It?" "Fabulous", the "You are the Music In Me" reprise, "All For One", and "Everyday" And I have "Work this Out" for Annoying but so Fricking Catchy. Instead I have two new ones. First there's the case for "Bet on it" and "I Don't Dance" which I would rate as actually catchy and all around good songs. The points to them are not original, but even then I would actually consider them to be actual decent songs rather then being rated as bland but is a guilty pleasure. Plus, "I Don't Dance" in my opinion had actual choreography that was much more big and complex then what we would usually get from these songs. But then there's also tragically the song "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a". Now everyone has their own opinion over what they consider to be the worst song ever heard. I mean my younger siblings hate this one song from a musical adaption of the Jungle Book (that wasn't Disney mind you) that we did once, and some of my fellow bronies find "At the Gala" to be just horrid. But  "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a", to me, is without a doubt the worst song I've ever heard. It was weird, over the top, just about came right the frick out of nowhere and was just plain stupid and irritating. If you think it's a good song then more power to y- actually no. Not even that. You HAVE to hate it. If you don't then you fail at life for all I care. This may sound super extreme but honestly, it's just so fricking bad to me straight and true and the sooner I for one forget it ever existed the better.

And that's my review for High School Musical 2. It had a couple of songs to enjoy and things like that but the story was horrible, some of the main characters where just terrible, and it all around gave us a song that I think is the worst song ever. So if you haven't seen it, I'd obviously avoid it and skip to the third movie or something like that if I where you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment