Tuesday, September 11, 2012

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Rating: 95%
Alright so since I"m starting to try to focus more on Best Picture winners with a lot of franchises and stuff covered, I thought that I would start with some that I have seen and really enjoy, and there's few of the early ones I've enjoyed as much then All Quiet on the Western Front.

Plot: The movie starts in Germany where World War 1 is happening and the teacher of a boys high school influences his students to sign up for the army and fight "for glory and for the mother land". So they sign up but soon discover the terror and hardships of war and with fighting for your own survival.

This is a memorable movie considering its time. It may not exactly be Saving Private Ryan, but you can tell that it would turn out roughly as affective in this film. But unlike Private Ryan, which is think is where it's more descriptive, it doesn't focus on one particular mission live saving some particular soldier. It just shows roughly what happens through pretty much all of war during that time with different  kinds of battles, surviving situations, and ways that soldiers take on with what is happening all around them whether it's on the battlefield or if it has something to do with any of their friends in the army. But what I do like that it's not always serious. In fact it has a bit of comedy roughly more then halfway in that my brothers and I really enjoyed when we first watched this film. The only things I will say is that I don't entirely like how we could really focus on any particular character that was from that school throughout most of the film. I mean it makes sense that we start to later on, but it they meant for any of the guys from the school to be noticed and kept a sharp eye out for right away during the beginning, it didn't really work...at least for me. But that's my only real issue with the film.

Actor/Characters:
Lew Ayres/Paul: of all the guys that where from that high school, Paul was my favorite. He was really well acted with everything he was going through from things like losing some of his friends, to watching that french soldier slowly die, to how he sees everything differently once he got to go home. It was a very well done performance and I really enjoyed him for that.
Louis Woldheim/Katczinsky: I also really enjoyed Katczinsky. He was kind of the guy everyone had to look up or the one that had to make sure everyone sticks together and yet also had a more friendly side eventually and was pretty funny whenever there was comedy in the film.

And that's my review for All Quiet on the Western Front. It's a very well displayed film that was well acted and really hit it good with showing us the things troops went through during the time of World War 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment