Thursday, September 27, 2012

While You Were Sleeping (1995)

Rating: 85%
So this is a review I've wanted to do a while but haven't really gotten to until now. So here's my review for While You Were Sleeping.

Plot: Lucy is a lonely collective token collector for the Chicago Transit Authority who wants to travel. Everyday there's a handsome commuter named Peter that comes to her station to take the train that she has a secret crush on. On Christmas day, Peter is pushed onto the train tracks by a mugger and Lucy saves him from being hit by a train. He falls into a coma and so she accompanies him to the hospital but the doctors wont let her see him because she isn't family. But then a nurse overhears her saying to herself "I was gonna marry him" and allows her to see him thinking she's his fiancee. But then Peter's family comes and are lead to believe that she is his fiancee. So she's panicked about the lie at first but then when Peter's godfather finds out about the situation, he suggests that she keeps the secret because of how she has brought the family closer together.

This is a very good romantic comedy. One of the few among the last couple of decades. I mean yes you have it set very much like any other romantic comedy, but this movie gets away with it buy being completely entertaining with a cute story, very lovable characters (I mean one of them was played by Peter Boyle for crying out loud (rest in peace)), and you can't help but love the actual romance and comedy that comes along with it. Honestly, I feel like all the romantic comedies around our time or at least the ones between 1995-2000 ish if not even a fair bit of romantic comedies around our time have all tried to roughly try to outdo While You Were Sleeping. I probably feel this way since this was the first romantic comedy I've seen ever and I feel like this might the first where it have the whole supporting case being the family of either person from the love couple and stuff like that, but it's such a good movie to have been the first romantic comedy I've seen that I think it gets away with that cause I have yet to find a .

Actor/Character:
Sandra Bullock/Lucy: Adorable. Plain and simple. I mean you really have to love this character from the moment you see he secretly expressing her crush on Peter. It-it's just cute straight off the bat. I mean this film is an example of how big of a difference her acting was when she did The Blind Side a couple years ago. (I have yet to review that one but it totally recommend it.)

Music: Now I know that the score is roughly styled very similar to pretty much any romantic comedy from that decade, but I honestly think this one pulls it off. I think it's just the way the songs are styled just really worked in bringing what was happening to life. Especially that song that was kind of the theme for Peter's family.

And that's my review for While You Were Sleeping. It's a very cute and lovable film that I think is just one of the best romantic comedies that I've seen that is styled in a way that you're very familiar with, but it feels like that this is where that style originated and even if it isn't, it brings out a certain charm that you just have to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment