Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

My Rating: 90%

Uhh. this movie sorta messed with my head. but whatever; here we are with me back to my Marlon Brando marathon. Here's review #3: A Streetcar Named Desire.

Plot: A fading, yet still atrractive Southern belle girl, Blanche travels to New Orleans after losing her ancestral southern plantation, Belle Reeve, to visit her sister, Stella and her husband Stanley. From there, Blanche witneses the everyday life with Stella and Stanley's relationship while becomeing romanticaly interested in Stanley's best friend, Mitch.

Now that's all I'm going to say about the plot for thsoe of you who have not seent he film or at least may be familiar with it, or the play it's adapted from. But thsi is areally good film. the acting was well done, the story is good in a messed up way, and there's a lot of symbolism to it that's interesting. Granted, I only understandthe general concept of it but still.

Acting/Characters:
Vivien Leigh/Blanche DuBois: gee. she played her part well. Blanche is a unique character when it comes to her fantasy. And it doesn't surprise me that she won an Oscar for her role. And i'm curious as to how much different (if there's a difference at all) there is to the woman who originally played the role in the play and won a Tony for it.
Marlon Brando/Stanley Kowalski: He di an excellent job. H eplayed quite the characters and he worked it out very well.
Kim Hunter/ Stella Kowalski: She did a very good job too. You really have to pity he character with everything that happens.


Music:Well this wasn't much for music so there's nothing to tell other than the music was...well like any other music from back then. I know that's not really saying much but still.

Editing: I thought it was good. They gave us a good idea of the setting and with what they were trying to tell.

And that is my review for A Streetcar Named Desire. I know i'm not saying much, but that's probably for the best for those of you who have yet to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment