Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Fair Lady (1964)

Rating: 70%
only two more reviews until I reach 400. So why not make one of them probably the last musical best picture I wanted to see before Les Mis comes out? So here's my review for My Fair Lady.

Plot: The film starts out introducing Professor Henry Higgins who believes that a person's accent and tone is what determines a person's part in society. When he meets Eliza - a flower seller from the slums who as a strong Cockney accent - he decides to make a project out of her by proving that within 6 months, he can make her speak 'properly' worthy of her passing as a duchess. So Higgins gives Eliza speaking lessons with his new friend Colonel Pickering.

This was just a nice movie to me. It's not bad or anything, I mean it has a good story and some likable characters. And while I don't love the entire soundtrack, it does have some songs that are memorable like Wouldn't it be Lovely, With a Little Bit of Luck, and I Could Have Danced All Night, along with some I haven't heard before that I thought were good too such as Show Me, and Get Me to the Church on Time. The characters were also well acted, most notably Audrey Hepburn with how she displayed how much Eliza changes in this movie and Stanley Holloway with being the comedy relief as Alfred. But ultimately, I think the musical itself is just nice. It's not bad or spectacular, but it's more like musicals like White Christmas were they can be enjoyable, but not one of my favorites.

And that's my review for My Fair Lady. It's a nice film that was well done for the most part, but it is not a musical film that I consider to be particularly memorable
.

No comments:

Post a Comment