Tuesday, December 11, 2012

2012 (2009)

Rating: 5%
Well with the so-called 2012 apocalypse suppose to supposedly happen in the next ten days, I decided to take a look at the 2009 film where they decided to make a movie out of the disaster that probably just 6 people in the whole world right now somehow still think is going to happen. So here's my review for 2012.

Plot: In 2009, this geologist discovers that a solar flair is rupturing earth's core leaving them to know that Earth is going to be destroyed. So they decide to create ships to rescue as many people as they can to prepare for this event. Meanwhile in 2012, science fiction writer, Jackson learns about this when he takes his kids from his ex-wife for a camping trip were they meet a man named Charlie Frost who informs them that the world is coming to an end. So after eventually hearing about the ships that the government are planning to use to save people, Jackson takes his family along with his ex-wife's boyfriend to try to get into one of those ships before they get killed.

Ugh. Thank The Lord that I was smart enough to make sure I was playing a video game on the computer so I could stay entertained while watching this film. I mean how can you tell that that it's going to be a cliche heavy movie? And when I say that, I'm taking about aside from the fact that you can smell Independence Day with a hint of the first Transformers film all over this movie before you're even ten minutes in. Because this film is crawling with cliches it's not even funny. The characters backgrounds, the romance, the main characters relationship with his family - I mean frick, Michael Bay has no part in this film whatsoever, and yet they went with some of the poor choices of comedy relief that he tends to do. But there are two things that drive me crazy the most about how bad this movie was. Firstly was how long it was. When I got this film from the library and looked at how long it really was, I was shocked. I mean I thought it would be just 2 hours and a couple minutes long at best. But nope, this film is almost 2 hours and 40 minutes long. I mean even with my video game to give me comfort and entertainment, I felt bored and down in the dumps at how this film just kept going. I mean it doesn't even need to be 2 hours. I think it would've worked better if it was around an hour and a half. My second issue is with Jackson's relationship with his family and his ex-wife's boyfriend. *WARNING SPOILERS* This has to do with Jackson's family's relationship between him and the boyfriend. Now naturally the wife cares for the boyfriend for sure, but I really liked how the kids explained how they felt. They said that they found the boyfriend to be a good guy in a honest respectable manner. And Jackson was very accepting that they all made that choice and it seemed like if the boyfriend survived, that's how it would've gone. If they did, I would've enjoyed that. I mean it's not super unique, but they were taking a different take on the cliche with the kids and that was nice, so if they went all the way with that, I would've given the film the respect for that. But of coarse they not only didn't, they even gave the boyfriend a rather abrupt death in a way which I just thought was a dumb way to throw away an okay oppertunity. *END OF SPOILERS* After that, the one good thing about the movie were the effects for all the destruction despite being unrealistic in some areas.

And that's my review for 2012. It was a horrid movie that was as cliched as you'd expect, way longer then it should be, it screwed up on an okay oppertunity concerning the main characters, had some nice destruction scenes, but otherwise was a really bad movie plain and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment