Saturday, December 1, 2012

The NeverEnding Story (1984)

Rating: 90%
Now up until I saw this again just a couple of days ago, I saw this film only once during...I think it was like the 3rd or 4th grade, maybe farther then that. And when I saw it, I didn't really understand much of it outside of what happened in the bottom line with the beginning and end and some little moments in between. So for a while I've been wanting to see it again to kind of settle the matter of what it even was about along with finding out if it is a good movie and stuff like that, but I would keep forgetting to do that before I would have a chance to try to borrow it from the Library. Luckily, my friend Andrew recommended a couple of films for me to see that I thought I'd enjoy when it comes to their creativity and all that, and The NeverEnding Story just happened to be one of them. So that helped me finally get into seeing this movie again (with the advantage of having a computer at the time I got his message on Facebook.), so now I've finally seen it again at long last, and here's my review for it.

Plot: Bastian is a quiet boy who likes to read and is often bullies by his schoolmates. One day he hides from the bullies in an bookstore where the owner has a book that he warns is not safe. But Bastian 'borrows' the book anyway and starts to read it in his school's attic where he gets drawn into a story about a world called Fantasia that is being destroyed by something called The Nothing and it's up to a young warrior named Atreyu to try to find a way to stop it.

So was this a creative film? Um...pretty much. I mean while the name of the fantasy world makes you think of the Disney movie Fantasia, it still left me with a bunch of creatures and points in the story that I liked for their creativity. I mean for its time, they really did a good job for their choices of design, makes up and costumes for all these different kind of creatures. The story was very enjoyable and it kept me interested in what was going on, and how it ended was very nice. So with all that said, yeah, Andrew wasn't kidding that this was a film to check out when it came tot he creative aspects.

So all around, this is a fine movie to watch if you want to see a fantasy that has some creative creatures and a fairly unique story, then this film is for you. Even if it isn't, I'd say that this film is an enjoyable film altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment