Monday, December 26, 2011

Hugo (2011)

Rating: 90%
Now this film looked interesting from the moment I saw one of it's trailers. Frankly, I thought it would be a bit more sci-fi fantasy the way it looked in the trailer. But, I'd say that it is a bit of fantasy in it's own way.

Plot: Hugo is an orphan who lives in a train station where he works as the clock keeper. But also lives as a thief. In his spare time, he works on a mechanical man who he was working on with his father before he died. One day he's caught steeling from a toymaker named Georges Melies who takes his notebook containing blueprints for his mechanical man and intends to burn it. He tries to keep him from actually burning his notebook by the help of Melies' goddaughter, Isabelle whom he befriends and starts to have many adventures with.

This was a very clever movie. The characters where lovable, the story was really imaginative when it comes to how it's connected to real life people from that time, and it made you rather amazed with the kind of things they did for effects and such when it came to making movies back in those days. The most interesting part of the film to me was introducing the automaton. I don't know if there has been any that can do what this one did back then, but even if there hasn't it was a pretty fascinating mechanical thing. The only thing that seemed missing - but maybe it is in the film and I just have to see the movie again to find it - is what the automaton had to do with Melies. Maybe it shows, maybe it doesn't but if it didn't, then that's a down on the story.

Acting/Characters:
Asa Butterfield/Hugo Cabret: He did  pretty good job with his acting. I thought it was well done.
Chloe Moretz/Isabelle: I wish it didn't take until AFTER I saw the film to know that she's Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass. Although in my defense, how could I? she's grown a fair bit since then. But anyway she did a pretty good job too. Her characters was pretty fun.
Ben Kingsley/Georges Melies: His character was pretty interesting. Certainly a pretty fair performance at least to portray the actual person.

Music: I thought the music was pretty good.

3-D: mostly unnecessary. It was cool when it came to some shots inside the train station and with the snow earlier but other than that, it was just mostly nothing noticeable.

Editing: It was nice. fairly well done.

And that's my review for Hugo. It was an interesting, imaginative movie with a very fascinating way of trying to show movies and movie makers from that time.   

2 comments:

  1. terrific review. I love Scorcese's work and really want to see this one, just have to find a suitable time, great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much. I hope you don't have to wait long.

    ReplyDelete