Thursday, December 1, 2011

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

My Rating: 90%

Oh. my. gosh. I am so relived to have finally seen this particular Star Trek film. I already unfortunately found out what happens at the end and from there have been trying to avoid knowing any other thing about it from skipping a scene from this film on a list from a Nostalgia Critic video, to needing to plug my ears whenever my Ethics class had to say something that had to do with Spock's saying "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Now I can sigh in relief and enjoy this film finally knowing what everyone's talking about when it comes to it.

Plot: Around the end of season one of the original Star Trek series, The Enterprise encountered some super criminals lead by Kahn who Kirk eventually exiled on the planet Ceti Alpha V. 15 years after that, another Federation ship; the USS Reliant, is searching for lifeless planets.Tthey come across Ceti Alpha V (believing it's Ceti Alpha VI) where the captain and Commander Chekov are captured by Kahn who uses them to aid his attempt to get his revenge on Kirk.

Better. Much, much better. The story was set up better, the character development was much stronger, and it became more complex with it's introductions, to much more interesting new characters than what they gave us in the first film. I mean you have a female Vulcan, you have one of Kirk's old flames and her son who you begin to like more as the movie goes on. Plus the effects were better and there was way more action. Anything else I won't give away but still, this was a really good film.

Actors/Characters:
William Shatner/Admiral James T. Kirk: Now this was WAY better on Shatner's part. Less of the weird behaviors from the first film and way more of the Kirk we all know and love and more.
Leonard Nimoy/Spock: I really enjoyed what they had for this character. I can't really explain why but in a way that's for the best that his part in the movie kinda speaks for itself. 
Deforest Kelley/ Leonard McCoy: Well...he was McCoy.
Ricardo Montalban/ Kahn: So THIS is the Kahn I've been hearing about...interesting. I wonder how I'm going to view him the next time I watch the second or third Spy Kids movies. He did a really good job with his acting in showing this guy who really desired his revenge no matter the cost. In a way I'm a little bummed that he's not in any other movies since I've kept hearing about him basically being the Darth Vader to Kirk's Luke Skywalker or the Joker to his Batman or Megatron to his Optimus Prime. But I've heard something about the next film containing this character so if that's the case, here's to that film and to the actor that's going to try to fill Montalban's shoes in being the evil, *Kirk's voice* KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

   
Music: much more enjoyable. especially since they played a little bit of the theme song to the franchise which- like I said -  was a little dumb to have been left out in the first film.
Editing: Better.


And that's my review for Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. As I keep saying, it is so much better than what Motion Picture had to offer. If you want a better idea at it, watch and enjoy the darn film yourself.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome to see another Star Trek fan. I absolutely loved this film, KHAAANNNN!!!! indeed. Brilliant review

    ReplyDelete