Saturday, November 26, 2011

Oliver & Company (1988)

My Rating: 80%

I still roughly remember a bunch of trailers to this film from some of the VHS copies of the Disney films we had during my childhood. And even though it was years ago since it was already out. I do remember something about seeing it in a theater with my family around age...either 3 or 4...5 tops. I may have seen it a couple of other times over the years but it was around this year when I finally borrowed it from the library and watched it a couple of times so that I'm all set to write my review to it. It took months to finally get on with writing it after seeing it, but better late than never. So without further ado, here's Disney review # 22: Oliver & Company

Plot: Based on Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens, the movie is set in New York where an little orphaned kitten is left alone after his fellow kittens are adopted by passerby. He comes across a dog named Dodger who helps him steal hot dogs from a hot dog vendor. Dodger flees without giving the kitten his share but Oliver tracks him down to meet Dodgers group of dogs and his pickpocket owner Fagin who after a while give him a warm welcome. The next day the group and the kitten are trying to get money for Fagin to payback a loan shark named Sykes. Things don't go well after trying to break down a limousine and the kitten is caught by a young girl named Jenny and her butler Winston who takes him to her home and gives him the name Oliver.

I enjoyed this movie for the most part. The characters are funny, there are some good songs, it just was a nice film all around.

Characters:
Oliver: Oliver was good. He definitely was a Disney version of the character Oliver from Oliver Twist.
Dodger: Now Dodger I liked. He was pretty cool and it's really interesting that he was voiced by Billy Joel.
Tito: Tito was very funny.  we was totally the comic relief of the film.
Sykes: He was a pretty nice villain.

Music: "Once Upon a Time in New York City" and "Good Company" were nice. But "Why should I worry" was definitely the best song in the film.

And that's my review for Oliver & Company.

3 comments:

  1. oh, this was based on oliver twist, I didn't know that! I loved this film as a kid, brilliant review HAK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course this was based on Oliver Twist, except set in New York City instead of London. I'm not going to lie. I find it interesting that this version of the story came out around 20 years after the musical version of the story (after the musical named "Oliver" that is).

    ReplyDelete