Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The Soloist

Rating: 80%

Is was interested in this film already when I saw a trailer. But then I decided to finally see it when my best friend wanted me to after she saw it. So I wasted no time in placing it on hold and then finally watching this film just last Friday.

Plot: after bike accident, reporter Steve Lopez bumps into a homeless schizophrenic named Nathaniel Ayers who is shown to play beautifully on the violin. He becomes interested in writing an article on Nathaniel after he find out that he want to Julliard. The first article he write influences a reader to give him a Cello to give to Nathaniel where they being to form a friendship.

Now sure, we've roughly seen and heard stories like this before. I mean this isn't completely different from films like The Blind Side. But that doesn't really make it any less good. Or affect it from the particular message it brings. It did give you a really good idea of what life is like for people like Nathaniel.

Acting/Characters:
Robert Downey Jr/Steve Lopez: I think the general thing to say was that, He was Robert Downy Jr. I mean that's nothing wrong with his acting, just that he's the same guys we know him to be only that he's not beating the crap out of terrorists in an Iron suit.
Jamie Foxx/Nathaniel Ayers: He did a very good job. I just found out that he played Ray Charles in Ray which makes sense. I mean I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen a couple of scenes of him roughly doing the same thing that he does as Nathaniel here in the really tense moments for the character.


Music: It was really good. well done.

Editing: It was nice. I think it worked in bringing the story together.

And that's my review for The Soloist. while the concept isn't original, the message is still good enough to make this an enjoyable an interesting film.

1 comment: