Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Rating: 90%
FINALLY!!!! I've been trying to see this film for months! I mean it got really good reviews and I even was told some story about how it was made. Apparently, what happens was that after the writer wrote the script, he gave it to some produces to try to make it a film. A month later he asks what's the status on his script only to find out that the film has been already casted, shot, and was in post-production. Or so the story goes. With all that said, it somewhat comes to little surprise that a couple weeks ago I couldn't take it anymore so I rented the film on Blue-Ray online at Blockbuster and finally saw the darn thing. And boy am I happy that I have.

Plot: Cal Weaver, a man in his forties finds out that his wife wants a divorce and that she has been sleeping with a man from her work. So he moves to an apartment and starts to hang out at this bar where a womanizer named Jacob Palmer helps him try to pick up woman. Jacob also has his eye on a woman named Hanna who is going to a law school and is hoping for things to go far with her relationship with her boyfriend. Meanwhile, Cal's 13 year old son, Robbie is in love with his 17 year old babysitter Jessica and continues to confess his love even though it makes her uncomfortable.

Now I'm just going to say it loud and proud. I. Love. This. Movie. The story keeps you interested all the way, the jokes are just awesome, and I especially love the subtext to the film. I mean  *WARNING, SPOILER* you had the intro with all the shots of just the feet of all these couples and then it gets to Cal and Emily's feet to introduce the situation with their relationship. Then you have Robbie pulling up his chair to go higher when he's talking to David and then he puts the picture of his parents back up. I will say that it has it's little cliches and some of the things Robbie and Jessica are a little far sexual content wise, but there's very little of it.


Actors/Characters:
Steve Carell/Cal Weaver: Now at first, I didn't really like Carell in this movie at all. When he started going to that bar, he was just his old, Michael Scoot self. Extremely painful moments and all. But after he starts hitting women, he's a different character and you know what, I loved that character. He did a very good job with being Cal Weaver.
Ryan Gosling/Jacob Palmer: He did a very good job too. Personally I really loved his scene where he's just talking and doing all this stuff with Hannah. I mean to me that made his thoughts about her very believable.
Emma Stone/Hannah Weaver: Oh man I really like this actress. I mentioned how much I enjoyed her before in Easy A, and now this. She did a spectacular job and my expectations are just as high as they were after Easy A with he being Gwen Stacy in The Amazing Spider-Man.
Jonah Bobo/Robbie Weaver: I really liked his character. He may have been a little weird at times but I thought he was fairly original.

Music: I thought the music was very enjoyable.

Editing: I enjoyed the editing. The one problem I had was that they included a shot of Jacob eating cereal when it was raining after the parent-teacher conference. That just didn't make any sense. But it was still good all around.

And that's my review for Crazy, Stupid, Love. I an extremely enjoyable movie and I for one love it to death.

2 comments:

  1. terrific review, HAK. Its been a great year for Gosling, I would very much like to see how he does in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Rodders. And I agree with Golsing. he's done a lot this year. But yeah you'll love this movie. I mean this is automatically going to my Christmas list for next year. No joke.

    ReplyDelete