Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Bug's Life (1998)

Rating: 85%
Oh man, I remember only too well how this use to be one of  my favorite movies and the video game was my all around favorite when I was in elementary school. So here's Pixar review # 10: A Bug's Life.

Plot: In a place called Ant Island, a colony of ants are made to pick food for a gang of grasshoppers head by their leader Hooper for protection. But one day an ant named Flik accidentally knocks the offering off into the stream, Hooper demands that they ants make another offering with twice the food. Flik then comes up with the idea to find other bigger bugs to come and fight Hooper and his gang. He finds a group of bugs to come and fight, but eventually when they come to Ant Island, they revealed to Flik that they actually are circus bugs. So Flik has to make the colony still think they're going to fight the grasshoppers while he tries to still use the bugs to help.

Like I said, I loved this movie to death when I was a kid. And why not? The characters are lovable, the world is creative and some of the comedy were just awesome when I was a kid. But I think for me, what really got me into completely loving this movie was just the story and primarily the all around adventure. Throughout most of my elementary school days, this movie was one of the kid movies that were a super lot of fun because of the exciting adventure that I just loved to death and still do with some of the other films like Hook, The Prince and the Pauper and The Rescuers Down Under. Now I am older to be aware of how it's similar to The Seven Samurai. And I admit that the all around lying to everybody bit is not that swell. But it gets away with it by still giving us an exciting and fun movie to enjoy.

Actors/Characters:
Flik: I loved Flik. He was clever with all of his creative inventions, he kept thinking of ideas to help things work out, and the was all around a very clever hero in the end.
Hooper: I think I viewed Hooper as one of the biggest villains when I was a kid. Now yes, I know better now with being familiar with villains like Venom, The Joker, Norman Osborn, Hannibal Lecter, Voldemort, Skynet, the San Diego Chargers, the Boston Red Sox, Shakespeare in Love, etc. But he's still a pretty menacing villain when it comes to his all around look and his desire for power. Plus it's interesting to watch him now, now that I know he was voiced by Kevin Spacy.


Music: The music was awesome. I really liked the music from the theme score to that song that ant band was playing when the circus ants came to Ant Island, and I personally really liked the music during Hooper and his gang coming back to Ant Island. I think with that last one I just thought it was an awesome music to give us an exciting yet sort of villainous - mostly just because it's played as we see the villains - song to build the suspense of the grasshoppers coming back.

And that's my review for A Bug's Life. It's funny, it's adventurous, and if you grew up loving it, I hope you still do in at least a certain way and if you haven't seen it, maybe you should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment