Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Alien 3 (1992)

Rating: 20%
*sigh* I hate that I made myself watch this movie again. But I have my intention to watch and review the whole series in time for Prometheus. So let's just get this over with.

Plot: During the trip back to Earth after the events from Aliens a mysterious fire starts that causes the ship to eject its escape pod which end up crashing on a prison planet which kills Newt, Hicks and the damaged Bishop android in the process. Ripley survived that crash but she is a little sick and is scheduled to be rescued for the sake of her and the prisoners. But a facehugger seems to have been on her ship and attacks the prison dog. This leads to a new Alien coming out of the dog and is starting to attack the prisoners.

Now what's wrong with this movie? Well first off, it feels disconnected from the first two movies on so many levels. I mean killing off Bishop, Hicks and especially Newt is just plain wrong. And this movie doesn't really feel very horror like. Which is easily the case because we are use to what happens and I doubt anyone was fine with their being just one Alien to worry about after facing and army in the last film. Plus hardly any of the supporting cast were entertaining unlike the characters from the first two films. They were just freaky which doesn't make them interesting unlike the Nostromo who were likable because we are all worried over if any of them were going to die, and also unlike the Marines who were very likable because of how bad-a a lot of them where. So it was really just the same situation, just that it's laid out for us on a platter rather than being developed enough to have characters or enough different things with the plot to keep things interesting. Though I did think the ending was a little passable considering what it was originally meant to be.


Actors/Characters:
Sigourney Weaver/Ripley: She in a way was just a totally different person. I mean while she did have the whole determination to kill the Alien bit, she does it like she's just programed to. Like she's an android or something.
Charles Dance/Clemens: The one guy that I found most interesting throughout the whole thing was Clemens. *WARNING SPOILER* But the sad thing is that he doesn't survive for long. I mean it seemed like he was going to be in the film a little longer, but instead he was killed long before the final attempt to kill the Alien. I thought that was just lame straight off the bat. *END OF SPOILERS*


Music: Eh, mostly nothing special. I did like it a little during the very end, but that was it.

Editing: My main disagreement with the editing was that I think the ending should've gone differently, it should've been computer revealing what happened and then the part where we hear Ripley's last lines from the first movie.

And that's my review for Alien 3. While the ending is okay, the movie as a whole falls completely short from the first two movies.


No comments:

Post a Comment