Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Aliens (1986)

Rating: 100%
Well after seeing Alien, I didn't waste too much time to see the awesome film that follows. So here is my 250th review: Aliens!

Plot: After the events of the first film, Ripley drifts off in space for 57 years before she is finally found and sent back to Earth. The company she works for doesn't believe her, but when a colony that has settled in the planet where they found the eggs and the colonists find them and end up losing contact with Earth, Ripley is offered to go back with a unit of marines to investigate. She refuses at first, but when the representative of the company, Carter Burke assures here that they are going to eliminate any Aliens that they find, she agrees. So with Burke and the unit of marines, Ripley goes back to face her fears and eliminate the new Alien threat.

This may well be one of my favorite films. Because while I did enjoy Alien even though I'm not too big on horror movies, this was better because of how they took the idea and made it much bigger. Because now it's an army of Aliens, we now know who is the real main character to the movie, and the even though that is the case, a lot of the supporting cast where awesome. Plus the setting was nicer. I mean I still liked what they did with Alien, but here they made it more futuristic and interesting, which is for the best considering that you'd think technology would advance at least a little bit during the 5 years gap between Alien and Aliens. I also loved how it was more of an action film rather than horror. I mean it did have horror, but in the end it came out more as an action film. And I won't spoil anything about the main villain for those of you who haven't seen it but that character is awesome.

Actors/Characters:
Michael Biehn/Corporal Hicks: I really liked Hicks. He was cool, he was smart and just that he was the much more understanding person to Ripley then the rest of the marines.
Jenette Goldstein/Private Vasquez: In terms of action and being a total bad-a, Vasquez was easily my favorite marine. She didn't take crap from anyone, she was tough, and I thought her gun was totally awesome...which is also a point for the people who designed it and also the people who did the sound effects for it.   
Paul Reiser/Carter Drake: He was pretty annoying. I mean he lied to Ripley and was hardly any help and he was all around one of those characters that you just have to hate.
Carrie Henn/Newt: I really liked Newt. She really gave us this lovable, smart girl who relates to Ripley and all around may have given us some of the best child acting performances there is.
Sigourney Weaver/Ripley: Like Linda Hamilton being Sarah Conner, Weaver gave us Ripley as a woman who went from someone who just had a really traumatic moment to an ultimate bad-a. How that turns out as she goes through the events of the film was just beautifully done. I mean it sucks that she didn't win Best Actress in a leading role that year, but that doesn't change that fact over brilliant Weaver was at giving us this awesome hero.

Music: very well done. There was more of it this time, but still not too often.

Editing: I thought it was very well done.

And that's my review for Aliens. It's an awesome action movie with wonderful characters and a story that gave us a heck of a way to take the idea from the first movie and go so much bigger. 



No comments:

Post a Comment