Sunday, May 27, 2012

Batman (1989)

My Rating: 80%

I remember the very first time I saw this film. It was probably around 1997 and the only thing I especially remembered since then was the final battle. I saw a fair bit once in a while later on, but it wasn't until mid 2009 that I finally fully saw the film. And it was fun to see this Joker again but the Batman was hard to get through my head concerning how I started to become familiar with the actor before seeing this again, but despite that and one or two other things, that doesn't stop me from having fun from fully seeing this film after so long.

Plot: Gotham is a city that's corrupted by crime. The only person who is trying to fight crime is a mysterious vigilante dressed like a bat. Reporter Alexander Knox is trying to find out who this mysterious person is along with photographer Vicki Vale. Meanwhile, crime boos, Carl Grissom sends his second in command Jack Napier to raid a chemical company only to be ratted out by his boss and the police attempt to arrest him. but in amidst of the cross-fire, the mysterious batman comes in and tries to take out Napier only to accidentally send him toppling into a large vat of chemicals which turns him into the insane and evil Joker.


Originally in my first version for the review for this film, I said I liked it but I completely preferred Dark Knight. That may still be true, I don't know for sure because with changing my view of Batman anew over the past year or so with going through the animated show and reading more and more of the comics and playing both Arkham games, in a sense I'm making a fresh new look in a way with some of the Batman films as I go through them for Dark Knight rises. Which is especially possible since it's been a while I've seen any of the movies up until now with plenty of stuff going on since then. But whatever the case when I see Dark Knight again, I do agree that this is better in the sense of it feels more like the world of a comic book while having an excellent amount of darkness and mystery concerning the actual character, Batman. In fact, probably also every time I see this film in particular, I get a feeling of curiosity of wanting to know what it must've been like as a fan or better yet, as a kid back in the days when this was in theaters. How the comic book world of Batman came to life in this film and the excitement that was filled all the way to the final battle between him and The Joker. From a kind of nostalgic point of view, the climax in the film especially can me fascinating to watch when it comes to how the audience would get excited for their hero much like we do today with movies like Dark Knight and The Avengers.

Acting/Characters:
Michael Keaton/Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman: If there's anything I found out before seeing the movie that simply did not make sense, it was Keaton being Batman. I mean it's not like I've seen all of his other movies, but I particularly knew him from his performances in Beetlejuice and Much Ado About Nothing. And based on seeing those films, it made more sense that he would be the Joker, or that we would actually audition for The Joker at the least. Actually, if you do a little research about the casting, there were a lot of people who completely questioned the casting. Luckily, he turned out to be just fine. He was mysterious, cool, and heroic through and through.
Jack Nicholson/Jack Napier a.k.a. The Joker: What can I say? He really was The Joker. He had the make-up and the costume, he would dance around or do what sorts of other moves and would altogether be insane as heck. I also kinda liked how when it came to the uniforms of The Joker's men and that helicopter had a picture of him from the comics at that time. He was just plain old well done to the end.
Kim Basinger/Vicki Vale: She was...nice. I think the thing is, is that I already knew what as going to happen and I couldn't view her otherwise with her part. Plus when you really think about it, she kinda was a little too much like Lois Lane from Superman. I mean it turns out that's who she was suppose to be in the comics: Lois Lane for Batman, camera and all. I"m sure that's fine for some people but that's nothing special about her to me aside from her nice charm and that, to be fair, isn't quite so devout on her job like Lois (then again, I'm not too much on Superman)

Music: I like the music. The music score is memorable and as far as songs, I especially liked the Prince songs "Trust" and "Party Man"


And that's my review for Batman. No matter what I'll discover or rediscover in the Dark Knight trilogy in time for Dark Knight Rises, it is a lot of fun and action, and an extremely well done movie all around to introduce many people to Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment