Saturday, May 26, 2012

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Rating: 30%
Okay I've taken the time to see this again, now all that's left is to review it so that I'm all set watching and reviewing wise for Prometheus. Now let's finally get this over with.

Plot: 200 years after Ripley committed suicide, military scientists clone her in order to surgically take out the alien queen that's inside her. The military then uses some pirates to capture a few people to use as hosts to make more Aliens. One of the pirates, Call, knows about the aliens and tries to kill Ripley because she thinks she can be used to make more. But before long, the Aliens break out of their cells leaving Ripley and the pirates to try to escape.

If the movie can be summed up in just one word, that word would be...weird. I mean some of the characters are weird, the design for some of the things in the movie are weird, and above all, the way they carry out the really creative and interesting ideas for this movie is just. plain. weird. For example, *WARNING SPOILER* 1) We have the moment where Elgyn and Hillard are having...something of a romantic moment that has to do with him just rubbing her feet. I mean I'm sure it's normal for couples to do that, but... I don't know, just they way they did it just...was odd to me. 2) Ripley being half human half alien and yet having powers neither posses like being able to shoot a hoop without looking or having a psychic link...at least I don't think so with the last part. 3) There's the most obvious one which is the Aliens using Ripley's DNA so that the Alien queen would have a baby that's a human/alien hybrid which is just one of the creepiest things you've ever seen. That thing was creepy in a scary way, I mean if all this happened to me in real life, I'd be scared to practically worse then death if that's even possible, about that thing being anywhere close to me. Like, comparing to that, I'd have no emotion Twilight style if a normal Alien/army of Aliens were all around me. Now even then, there are a couple of plot holes in the film. for instance 1) when the Aliens, got out, the military people ran away. Which is smart for them, but it's still not what military are suppose to do when the creatures they are guarding escape. 2) How did Christie die when he just fell into the water? 3) When Call got shot and fell into the water, how did she find herself all the way to the other side of the door that Ripley and the pirates where trying to open. 4) the sip crashed on Earth and made a big explosion which I found a little dumb that it was because it looked like they just killed countless people by crashing it. But even then I have to admit the creativity to some of the ideas: 1) the concept of Ripley being clones half human, half alien. 2) Call turning out to be a robot. 3) While it's still creepy as frick, I still like the human/alien hybrid when it comes to the idea of it. And while the design is really creepy, I also find it a little bit interesting. *END OF SPOILERS* One thing I also didn't like was how it was really made just science fiction and didn't really try the horror part of the Alien franchise at all. I mean that's one thing to give Alien 3 credit for. But it also helps that for the most part, we are back to having more than just one Alien that's trying to kill everybody. And for what it's worth, which the characters are weird, I thought they were way more interesting than the prisoners from the third movie. Now here's the sad thing, this was written by Joss Whedon, who we all now know as the guy who did The Avengers. Apparently, he planned that the final battle would be on Earth and the newborn would have a couple of features that sound much cooler. But the studio turned down all of his ideas and gave us this that Whedon claims he didn't write anything like. So as a result we get this movie that really is messed up. I mean I can see the Whedon side in the story with all these really interesting and creative ideas that they had in this movie, but what came out of it is mixed, but mostly just didn't work. Really it's just those ideas and the fact that we get more actual Aliens and stuff that makes this movie at least better than the third.

Acting/Characters:
Sigourney Weaver/Ripley: Yeah her performance was just like the film itself. The characters was an interesting idea, but the way they carried it turned out to be weird. I mean we go from the real Ripley who kick rear. And then we have her in the third movie where's she's like an android version programmed to just tell people their stupid and trying to kill an Alien. Finally we have the clone of her where she's awesome with the powers whether it's because of the Alien side of her or just was put in the movie, but then we have her just claiming to just look after herself, act like she's half on the good side, half treat the Alien cause like it's a religion or something, and then having her odd relationship with Call that that kind of seems like she's about to be a lesbian. Again, the idea is nice but...yeah frick it, I miss the real Ripley.
Winona Ryder/Call: Now I don't entirely like this actress because she was Abigail Williams in The Crucible who is one character that was a total evil whore. I know that's the character and not the person herself, but I guess she was so good displaying that character that it worked a little too much on me a tiny bit. Now before I wrote this review, I watched the Nostalgia Critic review to this movie, where he says that her facial expression looks like she's an angry 5 year old. I wouldn't go that far, but she did have a sort of...signature expression if you will throughout the movie. But even that aside, her acting in this movie wasn't all that swell. I mean voice acting she was fine, but she didn't have an awful lot of facial expressions. She mostly just had some...odd, look...maybe it is like she's an angry 5 year old, I don't know. But whatever that look is, she showed too much of it.

Music: It was okay. I really didn't pay very much attention to the music, but nothing was noticed in particular either good or bad, so it's just okay.

Editing: I thought the editing was alright. I did like that before the ship crashed, we did have a sort of last look at the Alien before it crashed.

And that's my review for Alien Resurrection. It has some creative ideas that I liked, but because they were changed and that some of them were done in a certain way, while you could appreciate it, it's just too weird to enjoy. Even then there's a lot of plot holes and other stuff that just took part in the movie crumbling. It's better than Alien 3 in my opinion, but at least that movie doesn't have all of this to offer. So there's my reviews to the whole Alien franchise. I hope you enjoyed what I had to say and look forward to what I think about Prometheus when it comes out. Until then, I'm watching 17 Again, which may suck, but may ease my mind after this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment