Saturday, May 5, 2012

Anne of the Thousand Days (1970)

Rating: 80%
I first saw this movie a few years ago in my Europe history class. So I decided to see it again since we have it and here's the review for it.

Plot: The movie is set is flashback over how Henry VIII after having a lot of miscarriages with his first wife Catherine, save for their daughter Mary, falls in love with Anne Boleyn and tries to woo her to become his wife, divorce Catherine and have her be the one to give Henry a son to rule England after her dies.

This got a few rotten reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, but I still enjoyed it. It was a nicely laid out film giving us an idea about the world that people lived in at that time and with the all around story of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII. The one issue where I side with the critics that didn't like it is that it is rather slow paced. I mean when I saw the movie again, I was surprised to find out how long it was and I didn't really like how long it took for a lot of events I remembered from the first time I saw it, to actually happen. There was quite a few stuff where it was just dialogue or something like that. I liked some of them because of how they were giving us some historical stuff about what was happening or the life at that time, but there were still a few scenes that were not necessarily needed. I think my favorite part *WARNING SPOILER* was at the very end when Anne claims that Elizabeth was going to be queen and rule a better England then Henry ever could with a son, and how they replay the audio to that scene when Elizabeth is walking away, kind of ending the movie with making it reflect that this was part of the story about Queen Elizabeth. It may not be historically accurate that Anne said that, but it still was nice. *END OF SPOILER*

Acting/Characters:
Richard Burton/King Henry VIII: He did a very excellent job portraying Henry VIII. He was selfish, stubborn and whiny and desperate as living heck. Even if his portrayal is not as historically accurate as I think, it still gives you a pretty darn good idea.
Geneviève Bujold/Anne Boleyn: She did a very good job too. Anne was clever, knew how to not to take crap from anyone but at the end of the day had a way of being just as selfish and determined as Henry.

Music:The music was good in terms of giving us music that was from that time.

Editing: I thought it was well done.

And that's my review for Anne of the Thousand Days. It may not be entirely accurate and slow paced, but it still gives us an enjoyable, good idea about what historically happened and an enjoyable film  altogether.   

No comments:

Post a Comment