Monday, May 14, 2012

Friends with Benefits (2011)

Rating: 70%
Now I know this is roughly the same thing as No Strings Attached, but I was interested in this one because...well it's the one that got better reviews. Plus, up till now, voicing as Meg in Family guy and being Lily in Black Swan. No Strings Attached...sure it has Natalie Portman...but I'm going to stick with this.

Plot: Jamie is an executive recruiter for a job agency in New York. Dylan is an art director for an internet company Los Angeles who Jamie is trying to recruit him to GQ magazine. Jamie spends the night showing him around New York which eventually convinces him to take the job. As he starts to get use to his job and New York, they develop a friendship. But after watching a romantic comedy together, they talk about sex and relationships. This eventually gives them the idea to have sex on the condition to not have any emotional attachments.

This movie is one of those few romantic comedies where it's structured like the rest, but they get away with it because they keep it entertaining. The way that they meet and how they start hanging out is different which is a pretty good deal. It makes the relationship between the two interesting with how they try to stay friends. The second half is where it especially is like any other romantic comedy with the conflict and the 'break-up' and the big moment where they get back together. But it's still very fun and entertaining to watch. If there was anything I didn't entirely like, it's how we don't get a lot of Emma Stone. 

Acting/Characters:
Justin Timberlake/Dylan: He was a nice character. He was not entirely original, but he had his fun side. And I pity him because people keep teasing him because everyone else thinks Harry Potter is gay.
Mila Kunis/Jamie: She was a fun character too. She did have the more realistic or cautious side to what the two characters were doing. I just recently found out that she's a witch in this upcoming prequel called Oz: The Great and Powerful. I'm curious to see what Kunis has for us with that.


Music: I enjoyed a lot of the music...even if it's irritating how Semisonic's "Closing Time" really gets stuck on your head. I mean yesterday, that was practically the highlight of my day; every now and then I start going *singing* I know who I want to take me home, I know who i want to take me home.


Editing: I liked the editing except for one thing earlier in the film where they have Jamie dropping her coffee. That didn't make sense that they shoot that inside the building she's next to so I could hardly see her do anything. I don't know if the editor had no choice but to show that show what happened with that particular shot, but if there was a better shot.

And that's my review for Friends with Benefits. It's a nice romantic comedy that may not have a second half that's structured different from most romantic comedies, but is entertaining nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment