Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Drive (2011)

Rating: 90%
I remember how some of my friends from film school talked about how this film is totally awesome when it was in theaters. Sadly I didn't find the time to take a look myself when it was out. But tonight I just watched it with my brothers and my dad using Netflix on Xbox Live and here's what I think about it.

Plot: An unnamed driver lives in L.A. as a mechanic, stuntman, and a getaway driver. He befriends his neighbor Irene and her son Benicio who before long gets his father back, Standard, from prison. But Standard owed some people from prison money so they get him to rob a pawn shop to pay his due and have the Driver give him a ride there and back. But the job results in Standard gets shot and The Driver finds out that the people who Standard owed the money to planned to double-cross. So he goes out to get back at them.

This was a very interesting and altogether different movie. The tone was very quite, the story was interesting and the way it turned out was creative. Though the tone may have been done too well when it came to there not being to many reactions from the characters. For example when a mafia guy was getting beat up by the driver at a strip club, the strippers' didn't really have a reaction. They just watched. But that was just one thing and it wasn't that big of a deal. It is surprising though that it was a very gory film. I mean that's not a big deal to me but I didn't expect that to happen at all.

Actors/Characters:
Ryan Glosling/The Driver: He was very interesting. I mean he hardly raised his voice or made any big facial expressions. It was just fascinating. Altogether he was a very unique character with how he was caring for Irene and Benicio and not really trying any big between him and Irene and even willing to help Standard, he's just a cool character. 

Music: I really liked the eletrical-pop music that was playing. I think my favorite song that they played was "A Real Hero" by College and I thought the timing in playing Oh My Love by Rix Ortolani was just weird.

Editing: It was pretty enjoyable. I admit that I liked how there where scenes where they cut between something that happens and the dialogue that happens before that certain action happens.

And that's my review for Drive. It's unique, it's interesting, and I would recommend it if you want to see a movie that's just totally different from what you'd normally see.

No comments:

Post a Comment