Monday, May 14, 2012

Ray (2004)

Rating: 90%
Yeah, finally watching this movie is a little overdue. I've seen a couple of clips here and there but it was just 15 ish minutes ago where I finally finished watching it. Now bear in mind, this was from watching the extended version of the film.  I don't know if it matter or not, though I get the feeling that it might, but be aware of that if it is necessary all the same.

Plot: This is the story of Ray Charles Robinson, a blind piano player who starts to move up into the world and become a famous singer getting worldwide fame while going through a lot of bad stuff in his life such as having affairs and especially doing drugs.

This was a very well put together movie. It may be a little long, but they used it very well with showing us this person and just about every single thing he goes through as his career slowly but surly get bigger and bigger, along with the things in his personal life whether it has to do with his family or with his past. Sure some stuff might not be accurate, I mean I would guess how they say he came up with "Hit The Road Jack" was not how he did it. I'm sure I could be wrong but that's my guess. But whether or not there was anything inaccurate to it, they still give us a very interesting story. Now the ending *WARNING SPOILER* I personally liked. Because frankly, from what I guessed from what little I saw from this movie until now, and with the fact that I didn't know much about Ray Charles up till now, I thought this was going to be one of those movies where the main character has it all, but he keeps making the wrong choices that screw him over beyond repair whether it's relationships like Kane's two wives in Citizen Kane, or with both relationships and the person's whole career like Roy Hobbs in The Natural (the book mind you, not the movie). But how it turned out for Ray in the end was a little satisfying because of how things worked out. I will admit that the ending is not too original, and I thought it was a little fast, that it was still nice to know what happened. *END OF SPOILERS*


Actors/Characters:
Jamie Foxx/Ray Charles: Foxx did a spectacular job. He gave us a good idea with what Charles did and what he went through with the things that happened throughout his life. Now part of how I know he did a good job was the fact that I had just recently saw him in Horrible Bosses. Comparing his character in that movie to his character in Ray shows how he gave a totally different character that he did work really hard on.

Music: what's to say, with this film we hear a lot of music that we all know and love. "Mess Around", "Hit the Road Jack," I can just go on.

Editing: I liked the editing. It was interesting how they especially kept showing those bottles that were on that tree from his childhood home.

And that's my review for Ray. It's an amusing film with a entertaining story about Ray Charles. The ending may be fast and cheesy, but it still works out anyway. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment