Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Midnight in Paris (2011)

Rating: 70%
Well at long last I have gotten my hands on this film. I remember very well how interested I was to see it just because of how different the poster was. Sadly I didn't find much time to see it in theaters, so I had to wait until it was on DVD, and at long last I have it and just finished watching it about eight minutes ago or so. So here is my review of Midnight in Paris. 

Plot: Gil Pender is a writer who is currently engaged and is in vacation with his fiancee and her parents. Gil is in love with Paris and he wants to live there unlike his fiancee. This leads to Gil taking a lot of walks around Paris at night. One night a car from the 20's comes up and the group of people dressed in 20's clothing take him to a party where he meets famous writers and artists from the 20's. This leads Gil to realize that while he's in the present by day, when he comes to the same spot and meets the same car at night, he is being taken back to the 1920s.

This is a very nice movie but I don't think it was really worthy to be nominated for best picture per say. I mean it had some nice characters, awesome cast members from Owen Wilson, to Kathy Bates, to Tom Hiddleston, and a some of cinematography were just awesome. But I have mixed views when it comes to the plot. I mean it's partly like Narnia mixed with this one movie that I don't remember the name of where a guy that was engaged was sending letters to a woman who was form the time of the civil war that he falls in love with. So it's not super creative. But at the same time I like it anyway because it was interesting to see Gil go back in time and meet all these people from that certain time, and how it gives us this interesting view about the life of people who think they are in the wrong era. But while some of the characters that were writers and artists from the 20's were very good, I feel like they could've given the audience more to know what is it about them that makes them so wonderful to so many people of our time. I mean you do have all the poetic talk with Ernest Hemingway and you have a look of one of the paintings of Pablo Picasso. But the rest of them you mostly just guess that they are famous because the only development you get is Owen Wilson going "Oh my gosh! It's this guy! I love you work!" I mean they didn't say much about the work of F. Scott Fitzgerald, who I know because I read his book, The Great Gatsby in my junior English class back in high school. But not everyone knows him or his work so I'm sure people who didn't would've loved to know what is so famous about this guy that he is being portrayed in this movie by Loki from Thor and The Avengers. So I would've liked to have seen more development in those kinds of characters so that we would all know or get an idea of why they are so awesome and remarkable to people like Gil.

Actors/Characters:
Owen Wilson/Gil Pender: I really liked how Wilson had a little more drama. I mean I know that it's a romantic comedy, but the way it was set up gave us an Owen Wilson that was not just all comedy like he is on the Night at the Museum movies or anything like that. So I liked that. The one thing I didn't get was that he seemed to have taken it too well that he was going back in time. Like he never really to time to be in denial or get beyond super excited over what was happening. Sure he'll say it dialogue wise, but on a whole he seemed to be into it almost right away.


Music: The music was very nice. I mean I'm not to big on Paris music, but it was enjoyable to listen to while watching Gil experience the things that happen in the film.

Editing: There were a couple of times where the film stays on a shot of one person, and they stick to that shot even while that characters is talking to someone. That may not be a big deal, but it seemed weird to see only one of the two people that are dialoguing during a large portion of their conversation.

And that's my review for Midnight in Paris. It's an entertaining film that just doesn't have a completely original plot but otherwise only needed a couple adjustments with some of the characters development. 




No comments:

Post a Comment