Thursday, June 7, 2012

The Sound of Music (1965)

Rating: 100%
This another one of the VHS's that was in that bag, but then while I started watching, I remembered that we have the movie on DVD so I kind of went "screw this, I'm getting my DVD with subtitles on." And now here's what I think of it after seeing it for the first time in a while.

Plot: Maria is a postulate in Nonnberg Abbey who normally gets into mischief much to the nun's despair. So the Reverend Mother takes her to become the governess for the widowed Captain Von Trapp's seven children. The Captain has raised his children strict with sailor suits and issuing orders. So against The Captain's orders, Maria tries to make things fun for the children by making fun clothes for the children and teaching them how to sing.

So what can I say that most of us probably already know about this movie? It's fun, the characters are lovable, the music is excellent, you just have to enjoy this movie. Now I know that there are differences between the movie/musical then what happened in real life, but what comes out of it is still a very nice story with romance, drama and all around family fun. Definitely one of the classical musical movies.

Actors/Characters:
Julie Andrews/Maria: She's especially a very lovable character. she's loving, caring with a very happy spirit but had a way of being clever at quite a few points. She deserved to have at least been nominated for best actress in a leading role during that year.
Christopher Plummer/Captain Von Trapp: I liked his character mostly after he started accepting what Maria was doing to the children. I mean yes he was cool anyway with being very anti-nazi, (I mean who wouldn't be?) but just how he is so caring about his country and his family later on is what makes him a good character. I especially loved the scene where the children lied about picking berries how he was being really clever there. It's interesting yet messed up to know that it's Christopher Plummer being this character all this time since I mostly only know him as...well...as he is now with movies like Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Up.

Music: It was awesome. Duh! We have a huge collection of very memorable songs from this movie from the musical such as "Sound of Music", "Do re mi", "Maria" and "Edelweiss"

Editing: It was very nicely done. Well cut, nice cinematography, probably deserved winning best editing ( I don't know for sure since I haven't seen any of the other movies nominated for that year)

And that's my review for The Sound of Music. It was a very well done and memorable movie that had excellent music and a lovable characters and story all around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment