Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Shining (1980)

Rating: 95%
So the other night, my parents to me and my siblings and my brother's girlfriend and my sister's boyfriend to the night tour of the Stanley Hotel, the hotel where Stephen King came up with the book, The Shining. Now I waited until the next day to watch the movie since it was past midnight by the time we came home. So here's my review for The Shining.

Plot: Jack Torrence is a former school teacher who gets the job as the winter caretaker at the Overlook Hotel. He brings his wife, Wendy and his son Danny with him. At first, they all seem to really enjoy being at the hotel, but then mysterious things begin to happens and Jack is starting to act strangely.

What can I say? It's a very good movie. It's mysterious, it's suspenseful, it has one of the most famous movie quotes known to man, the cinematography is good, the acting is extremely well done, it just doesn't it's just very well as a horror film. I mean the only issue I would definitely say is how it is based on the novel loosely. I mean I haven't read the book, but there are a couple of things that are different that I thought where a little lame, mostly that they changes the number of that mysterious room to 237 instead of 217. But nonetheless, it's still a very well done movie that so many film geeks are very familiar with.

Actors/Characters:
Jack Nicholson/Jack Torrence: I really liked his character. He was crazy and sinister, which may have made me think a little too much of his performance as The Joker in Batman, but was different enough that I could enjoy watching him without imagining him with green hair and a white face.  
Shelley Duvall/Wendy Torrence: She did a very good job with her character too. She really displayed what was happening to this character really well with how she was being scared or just plain worried for her family. I understand that apparently she's something of a different character in the book, I wonder how different I would find her if I ever read it.  
Danny Lloyd/Danny Torrence: I though he also did a really good job as a child actor. With how he portrayed Danny and "Tony", and his expression when he got really scared or found out something bad through his 'shining' powers.

Music: Really suspenseful. Best parts of the score would have to be the music for the beginning and the climax, they just really gave you this suspenseful and dark feeling.

Editing: I liked a lot of the editing, but I thought they gave away a little too much with showing the blood from the elevator so many times before Wendy sees it and how it seemed off that Jack would just about be heading to the ghost party, and then all of the sudden it cuts to Dick calling that friend of his.

And that's my review for The Shining. It's an excellent horror film where the only problems are how it's not too loyal to the book and with some of the disagreements I have with the editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment