Monday, June 18, 2012

Thumbelina (1994)

Rating: 60%
This movie use to be one of my favorite films as a little kid. I probably haven't seen this movies since...like 2000...maybe 2001...so yeah a long time. So let's see how it turned out for me all grown up and having a more skeptical view about movies.

Plot: Once upon a time, this woman who wants to have her own child visits a good witch who give her a seed. She plants and waters the seed in a pot and it grows into a flower where inside is a little girl "no bigger then his thumb" whom she named Thumbelina. One night, a fairy prince named Cornelius flies to her house and takes her out to ride his bumblebee where they fall in love. But later that night, she is kidnapped by a toad who tries to get her to marry her son. So she tries to find her way home while Cornelius tries to find her.

This is definitely a movie that it a lot more for kids then for adults. Plus it's probably no secret it's an attempted Disney knock-off. But still, it is a little fun. I mean some of the characters are good and at least some of the music isn't all that bad. The story is not too bad while not being too entirely loyal to the fairy tale...at least I believe so. But it also has a couple of really ridiculous stuff like *WARNING SPOILERS* how both autumn and winter each last around 2-3 days or something like that. and also how there's several points where some of the problems in this movie could've been solved just by having Jacquimo fly Thumbelina to her house or to the Vally of the Fairies. Sure Jacquimo finding those places alone where better at point like when he got that thorn in his wing, but still. *END OF SPOILERS*

Characters:
Thumbelina: Now most of the time I really like her character. I mean she's not Disney princess material, but she was still cute and has a more innocent personality...with her being alive for a couple of days throughout the events of the film. I think the one somewhat annoying thing about her character is how easily she finds things impossible. Sure, sometimes that makes perfect sense sometimes given the situation at hand, but it doesn't entirely cut it at how often she gives up in a way.
Jacquimo: Yeah he wasn't the best character. He was a little annoying and again, a little stupid in not considering the thing that I mentioned in one of the spoilers. Sure his message was roughly alright and he had the right idea on a couple of things, but after that he was not the best character, and frankly, I thought he looked really weird.

Music: Now this movie won Worst Original Score at the Razzies for the song "Marry the Mole". I don't know why it won that entirely. I did hear some opinions about it just not being the best and that Carol Channing was singing which supposedly was what killed it in a sense...well...okay sure I'm immune to the badness of this film because I grew up with it, but aside from this movie and like, one episode of Family Guy, I hardly know a gosh darn thing about this actress to save my life. So all I can say is that yes, it's not exactly "Hellfire" as a villain song, but I think it's just so-so. Other songs like "Beautiful Baby" and "Follow your heart" were alright. But the best song in the movie was definitely "Let Me Be Your Wings". It was just a very well done song that was very enjoyable. The reprise at the very end I think was the best because it was so moving in the way that made the ending really happy. It was just well done.

And that's my review for Thumbelina. It's really just for kids and even then, it's not too swell as a movie in general, but for people who grew up with it like me, it's still a lot of fun. So at the end of the day, this movie for me is just what Terminator Salvation, The Nutcracker Prince, Twilight saga: Eclipse, and Scream 3 are for me; a guilty pleasure.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment