Sunday, June 24, 2012

Grease (1978)

Rating: 40%
Now shortly after I went to see Rock of Ages with Megan and while we were waiting for her mom to pick her up before I went to work, she found out that I had yet to ever see this movie. So she suggested that I finally see it so I picked it up from the library a couple of days ago and saw it yesterday and here's how it turned out.

Plot: Over the summer, Danny falls in love with this Australian girl named Sandy at the beach. When summer ends, Danny assures Sandy that they will meet again someday even though she will be going back to Australia. But in the beginning of school, it turns out that Sandy ends up staying and going to Danny's school. They meet again with their friends, but Danny tries to stick to his bad boy attitude for his friends during the reuniting and their relationship gets jeopardized.   

Eh, to put it bluntly, this was good really just for the music in terms of finding how where they originate. I don't really care for the story is just that it isn't all that appealing to me. Mostly on how the story was just too darn similar to High School Musical. In fact, according to Meg, I'm not that far, she actually described this movie as the ORIGINAL High School Musical only difference is there's more sex, smoking and stuff like that. Maybe if I never knew anything about HSM, I would care for this movie (well who wouldn't if you've never seen HSM) but I have so...yeah it's not that big of a deal as a movie or as a musical to me.

Actors/Characters:
John Travolta/Danny Zuko: Since I view him as the original Troy Bolton, I really didn't care for him. Because much like Troy, he was being a moron at plenty of points that result in his love interest's feelings getting hurt, and he and his friends have some rivalry against another gang like how Troy and his team kind of have a rivalry against the team where they're trying to win the championship. I will give him points for being a more believable character then Troy, and that he's being remembered longer than him, but that's it.
Olivia Newton-John/Sandy: At first, I really liked her character. She was smart, reasonable and did kind of stand out from the crowd, but I really didn't like what she did at the very end. I won't say what happened, but in a morale sense, she lost most of my respect.

Music: Really good music. I'm glad to know how the songs, "You're the one I want" and "We Go Together" came from.

And that's my review for Grease. It's not horrible, but I guess I delayed watching this movie long enough, plus saw HSM first that kept me from finding it appealing in any way outside of the music.



No comments:

Post a Comment