Wednesday, June 20, 2012

All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)

Rating: 55%
Now I saw the second movie when I was a kid, and I enjoyed it for the most part. But considering what I knew then, I was curious as to what the first movie had to offer. Now after watching Thumbelina for the first time in years and reviewing it, I started to become interested in becoming a little more familiar with Don Bluth then I really am. So I put on hold a few of them at the library and started watching more of his films starting with this one; All Dogs Go to Heaven.

Plot: This is set in the year 1939 where a dog named Charlie is working with his gangster partner Carface. Carface doesn't want to share the profit, so has Charlie killed. Charlie goes to heaven much to his disliking, so he steals his time watch and winds it so that he goes back to Earth despite the angel saying that he will do to hell when he dies again. So he gets his friend Itchy to steal this orphan girl named Anne-Marie who can speak to animals and Carface has been using to place bets on races so that he will always win. Charlie cons Anne-Marie to believing that with her help, he will use the money he'll make betting with her help to help her find parents for herself, when in fact he'll use it to make a rival business.

Okay now I really look forward to seeing the second movie again because I think that one is SO much better then this movie. I mean it's not horrible, it's just that some of the story is not very original, and that there's stuff in this movie that I thought was just plain weird. *WARNING SPOILERS* my main example with the story is how Charlie is using someone to get his way and how he starts to become good and tries to redeem himself because of the person he's using. That's pretty much Despicable Me and... I know there's more movies where this happens. It's just something that has been done before and I don't like that we have this story here as well. As for just plain weird stuff, my first example would be that Charlie had that sharing song with the little puppies. I find if weird because he's this con guy, and he isn't 100% good right this second, so him all of the sudden teaching puppies to share may be good in the morale sense, but it's also so out of the blue that it's just plain weird. And then there's the most obvious weird moment in this movie: the scene with the big lip alligator. It was just totally random and didn't make any sense and...pretty much just that. *END OF SPOILERS* But again, it wasn't horrible. It still was a little entertaining where while it had these really weird or dumb stuff in it.

Characters:
Charlie: Now I didn't like Charlie all that much because of his mission in the film because, again, it's not that original. Then there's the one scene with him that I found weird that I mention in one of the spoilers. So he has his good points, but on a whole not too creative of a character.
Itchy: Itchy I kind of liked automatically just because he was the fun sidekick voiced by Dom DeLuise.

Music: The score is mostly like ordinary kid music made by Don Bluth as far as I am concerned despite my big lack of knowledge about his movie making in general. But other than that, the songs also fall in line to weird because of the weird stuff that I mentioned in the spoilers with songs like "Let's Make Music Together" and "What's Mine Is Yours".

And that's my review for All Dogs Go to Heaven. It has a lot of flaws with it's lack of originality at some points and other points where things are just plain weird. But it's a least a little entertaining that you may enjoy either has a kid or as someone who grew up with it.       

No comments:

Post a Comment